Copy Editing Resources
A copy editor is responsible for the preparation of a piece of writing to get published. There are many components a copy editors has to take into consideration, including formatting issues, grammar, style and spelling mistakes, and the accuracy of quoted materials. Copy editors basically proofread all material before it is sent to the publishers. Below are a list of resources copy editors and proofreaders might find useful.
Introduction to Copy Editing and Proofreading
- How to Check Proofreading - A great resource which provides information on copy editing guidelines and how to understand copy editing marks and language.
- Proofreading and Editing Tips - Simple ideas and information from experienced proofreaders and editors.
Standard Reference Books
- Associated Press Stylebook - The best of the newspaper stylebooks. This book has many different editions and is updated frequently. It is the most common stylebook used through Universities.
- Reference Library for Writers - A collection of the most trusted and most referenced books for business writing, copy-editing and proofreading.
Headlines, Captions, and the Vocabulary of Printing
- Newspaper Vocabulary - This website offers a huge glossary of newspaper printing terms.
Common Problems in Spelling and Punctuation
- Punctuation - Includes information on apostrophes, commas, hyphens, quotations and more.
- Commonly Misspelled Words in Business - This website offers a quiz for the 25 most common misspelled words in business writing.
- Glossary of Copy Editing Grammar - A collection of basic copy editing terms and definitions.
- Grammar and Style - A comprehensive guide to all things grammar and style in the world of copy editing.
Jobs in Magazine Copy Editing
- National Writers Union - If you're a freelance copy editor, joining this organization is beneficial.
- ACES - The American Copy Editors Society is an organization that helps find jobs and define standards for copy editors.
- JournalismJobs.com - The best resource for finding copyediting jobs in magazines.
Latest Articles & News
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.