An Overview of Courses for Your Game Design Degree
Are you curious about the types of classes required for a degree in game design?
There are actually quite a few courses and options available to students studying game design. Some of the classes may be what you expect from a degree in this interesting field. Others may actually surprise you a bit but are quite necessary for some aspects of the game design process whether you lean more towards the technical aspect of design or the artistic aspect, there is much to be learned about both.
Fundamentals of Game Design
This class is a basic overview of what you will learn, how you will put the skills together, and what you should expect of yourself and the degree. You will probably get a minimum amount of practical experience in several different aspects of game design during your work in this particular course.
This course helps you master the art of storytelling within the parameters of a video game. It is a key component in the game design process and essential to a successful game. This class is a must for your game design education. While the action and the challenge may be the heartbeat or adrenaline of a game, the story is the soul of the game. Without being able to tell the story and get the message across you will have a difficult time really selling the game as a whole.
Building an excellent character is more than just drawing out a nice design. There are many layers and dimensions to the characters in any great video game. Modeling the characters allows you the opportunity to explore the character in three dimensions rather than two. It is helpful for the design process as you can see your character in three dimensions while trying to design the world around those characters.
Animation for Games
Learn how to actually draw and animate the characters and other images that will be part of the game design. You will not only learn how to design the animation but also how to import it into your final product. Animation is the life blood of most video games. The quality of the animation has direct implications on the overall enjoyment of the game.
Applied Game Design
Many classes will give you the basics of game design. Applied game design lets you get into the core. In this class you will learn how to take the process from pitch to product and learn the development methodologies that are required for the game design process, how to implement them, and how to create the prototype as well as the finished product.
Education is essential to your success as a game designer. These courses are just a glimpse into the education process. You will learn many more skills, techniques, and theories that go along with game design.
Schools Offering Training Programs in Game Design
- Online and Bachelor's programs include B.S. in Advertising, B.S. in Web Design, B.A. in Interior Design, and more
- Curriculum focus on preparing students for a creative career by teaching them the fundamentals of advertising and design
- Students can choose from courses that cover areas such as advertising concepts, art direction, experience design, and online marketing
- Over 50 locations nationwide, with a student support team dedicated to helping students grow
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Campus-based and online degrees include Computer Animation (BS), Digital Arts and Design (BS), Graphic Design (BS), and more
- Students take ongoing portfolio courses that allow them to build and refine their design portfolio
- Courses teach skills such as advertising, branding, visual messaging, and concept design
- Curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement
- Online Courses
Our objective is to prepare you for a life-long, successful career in Media Arts, Business or Information Technology. Our goal is to provide you with the best possible foundation that will serve you in your first job as well as throughout your career.
- Multimedia and Design
- An accredited computer training academy preparing students to enter the IT industry as Network Engineers, Software Engineers, Web Apps Developer, Website Designers, Programmers, Database Administrators since 2000.
- Holds A+ certification from CompTIA.
- Located in Los Angeles, approximately 10 minutes away from LAX.
- Flexible class schedules offered during day times, evenings and weekends.
- Helping students start a career in technology within 3 - 9 months.
- Educates with the mission to serve the needs of the local community and graduates by matching opportunities to skills.
- Military friendly school.
- Financial Aid
- Offers several scholarship opportunities for students who qualify.
- Laptop computers are issued to each student at the beginning of their program.
- Provides programs in health care, business, information technology, and graphic arts.
- Respiratory Therapy program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC).
- Accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
Our family of non-profit colleges admits students of any race, color, and national or ethnic origin.Show more [+]
- Accelerated Programs
- Financial Aid
Latest Game Design Articles & News
Detroit holds first annual design festival
Detroit will be hosting its first-ever design festival in order to promote designers in all fields in the area, according to The Detroit News.
National Design Award ceremony takes place next Tuesday
The finalists and winners of this year's National Design Awards will be having their annual ceremony a little late this year.