An Overview of Courses for Your Game Design Degree
Are you curious about the types of classes required for a degree in game design?
There are actually quite a few courses and options available to students studying game design. Some of the classes may be what you expect from a degree in this interesting field. Others may actually surprise you a bit but are quite necessary for some aspects of the game design process whether you lean more towards the technical aspect of design or the artistic aspect, there is much to be learned about both.
Fundamentals of Game Design
This class is a basic overview of what you will learn, how you will put the skills together, and what you should expect of yourself and the degree. You will probably get a minimum amount of practical experience in several different aspects of game design during your work in this particular course.
This course helps you master the art of storytelling within the parameters of a video game. It is a key component in the game design process and essential to a successful game. This class is a must for your game design education. While the action and the challenge may be the heartbeat or adrenaline of a game, the story is the soul of the game. Without being able to tell the story and get the message across you will have a difficult time really selling the game as a whole.
Building an excellent character is more than just drawing out a nice design. There are many layers and dimensions to the characters in any great video game. Modeling the characters allows you the opportunity to explore the character in three dimensions rather than two. It is helpful for the design process as you can see your character in three dimensions while trying to design the world around those characters.
Animation for Games
Learn how to actually draw and animate the characters and other images that will be part of the game design. You will not only learn how to design the animation but also how to import it into your final product. Animation is the life blood of most video games. The quality of the animation has direct implications on the overall enjoyment of the game.
Applied Game Design
Many classes will give you the basics of game design. Applied game design lets you get into the core. In this class you will learn how to take the process from pitch to product and learn the development methodologies that are required for the game design process, how to implement them, and how to create the prototype as well as the finished product.
Education is essential to your success as a game designer. These courses are just a glimpse into the education process. You will learn many more skills, techniques, and theories that go along with game design.
Schools Offering Training Programs in Game Design
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
50 Years of Excellence In Education
Coleman University is a private non-profit teaching university founded in 1963 and located in San Diego, California. Its undergraduate and graduate programs prepare individuals for technology-focused careers and leadership. As San Diego’s oldest school dedicated to information technology, Coleman University has historically educated a large number of the region’s business-technology professionals.
- Approved A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) since 2009.
- Offers career assistance and resource services to both students and graduates.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available to students who qualify.
- Accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACCSC).
- 4 campus locations in Atascadero, San Luis Obispo, Santa Maria, and Oxnard, California, with online options as well.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
Latest Game Design Articles & News
Detroit holds first annual design festival
Detroit will be hosting its first-ever design festival in order to promote designers in all fields in the area, according to The Detroit News.
National Design Award ceremony takes place next Tuesday
The finalists and winners of this year's National Design Awards will be having their annual ceremony a little late this year.