What is the Job Outlook for Game Design?
The gaming industry is expanding, and fast. Game designers and aspiring students are going to find many job opportunities in the coming years as more and more people turn to gaming for entertainment. Along with music and books, computer and console gaming is a top consumer industry. There are many reasons for this, but there are a few standout reasons why continued growth for jobs in game design is expected to be positive.
Games on Every Budget
People who are pursuing careers in game design can be comforted by the fact that gaming is one field that seems to thrive no matter the condition of the economy. Even when times are lean and people can't afford to go out and do many things, gaming is a form of entertainment that is economical. There are always games available in every budget range, from $10 to $50. While enjoying a movie at the theater may cost $10 each--before hitting the concession stand--buying a game provides unlimited hours of enjoyment for the entire family. Games can give an excellent return on an investment because of this, and consumers know it.
Games are Evolving, and Fast
Unlike some career fields, game design never reaches a point where it's grown to its limit or full potential. Technology continues to evolveand with it, new people and ideas are continually embraced. Consumers don't have the time to get bored with their games, because before they can there are new options on the market for them. Each year, the top design companies release hundreds of new games, accessories, and console attachments, and more game designers will be needed to keep up with this trend. When new technologies emerge, designers will also have to incorporate more high-tech ways of developing realistic games for consumers.
Demand is Increasing, and Faster
The field of game design is constantly growing, despite the enormous competition available on the store shelves. New market groups are being discovered and demand is increasing for games to cater to them. In response, new games and gaming systems are constantly being introduced, and every couple of years these systems are upgraded and improved. Games have to evolve as these markets emerge as well--one top company has discovered that in recent years, they have been selling more games to women than men. As upgraded and new systems are brought into the stores, gamers demand a coinciding increase in games available.
Games are Fun
Job outlook for game designers will only look brighter as the industry expands, and with the fun that video games provides, there is no end to the expansion possible. Playing games allows consumers to escape from reality, enjoy a bit of fantasy, and refresh their minds with new images, thoughts, and perspectives. Just like escaping into a book, people of all ages love to engage in a good game to relax or energize - depending on their mood.
Given the fact that the game industry is such a growing industry, the competition inside the field is expected to be fierce for some time. Game designers will need to be at the top of their class to land a job at a top gaming company, though internships could be a great way to get in the door. Large design firms or small - there will be no shortage of game design jobs for quite a while.
Schools Offering Training Programs in Game Design
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Push Your Creativity To The Next Level.
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Online Courses
50 Years of Excellence In Education
Coleman University is a private non-profit teaching university founded in 1963 and located in San Diego, California. Its undergraduate and graduate programs prepare individuals for technology-focused careers and leadership. As San Diego’s oldest school dedicated to information technology, Coleman University has historically educated a large number of the region’s business-technology professionals.
- Approved A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) since 2009.
- Offers career assistance and resource services to both students and graduates.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available to students who qualify.
- Accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACCSC).
- 4 campus locations in Atascadero, San Luis Obispo, Santa Maria, and Oxnard, California, with online options as well.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Offers several scholarship opportunities for students who qualify.
- Laptop computers are issued to each student at the beginning of their program.
- Provides programs in health care, business, information technology, and graphic arts.
- Respiratory Therapy program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC).
- Accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
Our family of non-profit colleges admits students of any race, color, and national or ethnic origin.Show more [+]
Latest Game Design Articles & News
Detroit holds first annual design festival
Detroit will be hosting its first-ever design festival in order to promote designers in all fields in the area, according to The Detroit News.
National Design Award ceremony takes place next Tuesday
The finalists and winners of this year's National Design Awards will be having their annual ceremony a little late this year.