What is the Job Outlook for Game Design?
The gaming industry is expanding, and fast. Game designers and aspiring students are going to find many job opportunities in the coming years as more and more people turn to gaming for entertainment. Along with music and books, computer and console gaming is a top consumer industry. There are many reasons for this, but there are a few standout reasons why continued growth for jobs in game design is expected to be positive.
Games on Every Budget
People who are pursuing careers in game design can be comforted by the fact that gaming is one field that seems to thrive no matter the condition of the economy. Even when times are lean and people can't afford to go out and do many things, gaming is a form of entertainment that is economical. There are always games available in every budget range, from $10 to $50. While enjoying a movie at the theater may cost $10 each--before hitting the concession stand--buying a game provides unlimited hours of enjoyment for the entire family. Games can give an excellent return on an investment because of this, and consumers know it.
Games are Evolving, and Fast
Unlike some career fields, game design never reaches a point where it's grown to its limit or full potential. Technology continues to evolveand with it, new people and ideas are continually embraced. Consumers don't have the time to get bored with their games, because before they can there are new options on the market for them. Each year, the top design companies release hundreds of new games, accessories, and console attachments, and more game designers will be needed to keep up with this trend. When new technologies emerge, designers will also have to incorporate more high-tech ways of developing realistic games for consumers.
Demand is Increasing, and Faster
The field of game design is constantly growing, despite the enormous competition available on the store shelves. New market groups are being discovered and demand is increasing for games to cater to them. In response, new games and gaming systems are constantly being introduced, and every couple of years these systems are upgraded and improved. Games have to evolve as these markets emerge as well--one top company has discovered that in recent years, they have been selling more games to women than men. As upgraded and new systems are brought into the stores, gamers demand a coinciding increase in games available.
Games are Fun
Job outlook for game designers will only look brighter as the industry expands, and with the fun that video games provides, there is no end to the expansion possible. Playing games allows consumers to escape from reality, enjoy a bit of fantasy, and refresh their minds with new images, thoughts, and perspectives. Just like escaping into a book, people of all ages love to engage in a good game to relax or energize - depending on their mood.
Given the fact that the game industry is such a growing industry, the competition inside the field is expected to be fierce for some time. Game designers will need to be at the top of their class to land a job at a top gaming company, though internships could be a great way to get in the door. Large design firms or small - there will be no shortage of game design jobs for quite a while.
Schools Offering Training Programs in Game Design
- "Apply Now to The Art Institutes - Pursue Your Passion Today."
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Full Sail University offers online degree programs that are designed for the world of entertainment, media, arts, and technology. Full Sail's approach is centered on real-world industry experience and creative problem solving.
- Full Sail uses the experience and knowledge gained from more than three decades of educational innovation to create an unparalleled online education experience that challenges and inspires our students.
- Learning at Full Sail has always centered around interaction and the exchange of ideas, and our online curriculum fully embraces this philosophy with the aim of being the most people-focused education experience on the web.
- Through Full Sail’s multitude of online program offerings, students get: One-click access to instructors, Powerful collaborative tools, Interactive learning environments and Innovative curriculum.
- Full Sail's newest program is the Dan Patrick School of Sportscasting. Developed in collaboration with sportscasting veteran Dan Patrick, the goal is to provide students with real world experience both behind and in fornt of the camera.
- Online Courses
- Located in Hollywood, CA, offering degrees in film, music production, business, animation and more.
- Scholarship, financial aid and military benefits are available for students who qualify.
- Programs taught by award-winning industry professionals in real-world working environments.
- Features industry-standard facilities including recording studios, soundstages, green screen, movie theatres and more.
- Accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
- Financial Aid
- Liberty University's online programs ranked in the top 5 of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level**
- No standardized testing if you meet admission requirements
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
Latest Game Design Articles & News
Detroit holds first annual design festival
Detroit will be hosting its first-ever design festival in order to promote designers in all fields in the area, according to The Detroit News.
National Design Award ceremony takes place next Tuesday
The finalists and winners of this year's National Design Awards will be having their annual ceremony a little late this year.