What Skills Will I Learn as a Game Designer?
Individuals considering a career in game design should have a general overview of the skills they must learn to be a successful game designer. Game design is a high-tech field that involves mastering many talents - not just the imagination needed to envision the next top game. Most of the necessary computer and design skills will be taught by experienced designers while you are working toward your degree. However, most of these skills require extensive experience in order to excel, and a designer's talent will continue to build upon itself within the first few years of being a game designer.
Here are some of the skills most critical to a game designer's career and success:
Games designers must be skilled in computer science. Most, if not all of the work that is done in the gaming business is done digitally. Game designers must know their way around computersand how to use and manipulate computers to meet their needs. This includes more than knowing how to check email and perform other basic computer tasks. Computer science encompasses a computer's function and theory, and includes topics such as programming, algorithms, chip architecture, and the history of the computer's use.
Digital Media and Software
Also important for game designers to have is current knowledge and experience with digital media and software. Game design involves working with storyboards, audio, graphics, animation, and more. Designers must know how to utilize many forms of digital media and software to create their products - and be able to adapt to new technologies as they arise. While investing in the industry-standard software may break a new designer's budget, it is essential to having the right skills to put on one's resume.
Game designers must be skilled at putting their concepts into comprehensive designs. This is the foundation of game design and it brings all the pieces together. Most concepts start out as storyboards, featuring either basic sketches or comic book-quality drawings and captions. Design concepts can include interactive website design, computer generated learning, artificial intelligence, troubleshooting, and problem solving. All of these facets must be addressed before a game can be produced.
Designers in all fields need to learn at least basic animation, but for game designers, animation skills are crucial. Animation is one the foundations of a successful game design. Game designers will need to learn all there is to know about animation - and they'll continually have to adapt to incorporate new animation technologies and innovations into their repertoire. As with other digital media, keeping up with new trends is important for game designers, despite their budget.
Script Writing and Storytelling
Gaming is not all about the picture but also about the story behind the game, and designers must be adept at script writing. Gamers know the best games are long stories. Epic games are becoming increasingly popular - as are games that tell a story but allow the player to make their own destiny. Designers must know how to craft the story and decide whether the game allows the players to choose their own destinies - within limits of course - or follow a more rigid and defined path.
Schools Offering Training Programs in Game Design
- Online and Bachelor's programs include B.S. in Advertising, B.S. in Web Design, B.A. in Interior Design, and more
- Curriculum focus on preparing students for a creative career by teaching them the fundamentals of advertising and design
- Students can choose from courses that cover areas such as advertising concepts, art direction, experience design, and online marketing
- Over 50 locations nationwide, with a student support team dedicated to helping students grow
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Online Courses
- Multimedia and Design
- An accredited computer training academy preparing students to enter the IT industry as Network Engineers, Software Engineers, Web Apps Developer, Website Designers, Programmers, Database Administrators since 2000.
- Holds A+ certification from CompTIA.
- Located in Los Angeles, approximately 10 minutes away from LAX.
- Flexible class schedules offered during day times, evenings and weekends.
- Helping students start a career in technology within 3 - 9 months.
- Educates with the mission to serve the needs of the local community and graduates by matching opportunities to skills.
- Military friendly school.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
The goal of Coleman University is to provide a program of superior undergraduate and graduate education for IT professionals.
- Located in Hollywood, CA, offering degrees in film, music production, business, animation and more.
- Scholarship, financial aid and military benefits are available for students who qualify.
- Programs taught by award-winning industry professionals in real-world working environments.
- Features industry-standard facilities including recording studios, soundstages, green screen, movie theatres and more.
- Accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
- Financial Aid
Latest Game Design Articles & News
Detroit holds first annual design festival
Detroit will be hosting its first-ever design festival in order to promote designers in all fields in the area, according to The Detroit News.
National Design Award ceremony takes place next Tuesday
The finalists and winners of this year's National Design Awards will be having their annual ceremony a little late this year.