What to Expect in Your First Year as a Game Designer
The video game design industry is one of the fast growing job markets in the country. Video game sales are rising rapidly, which leads to great opportunities for new game designers. For many, this is a dream job. What better way could there be to make a living than to design video games all day and get paid for it?
The market for game designers is very competitive, but a new game designer can still bring in a decent salary. Employers are actively searching for the most talented new recruits they can find, and are willing to pay for proven talent. Another positive aspect of this line of work is that your salary will rise rapidly with experience.
Because of the competitive aspect of the industry, you may initially have to accept a job without the title "game designer" but within the game industry. Once you have your foot in the door, work hard, volunteer to help anywhere needed, learn as much as you can, and take advantage of every opportunity to prove yourself. In this industry, hard work will be noticed and rewarded.
As a game designer, your goal is to make a game that is fun and playable. You will use your skills to design a game targeted to a specific audience. You will need to get to know your competitor's products, including their strengths and their weaknesses. You will work closely with other members of a team, and responsibilities will be divided among team members based on their interest and experience. In your first year, you will be the low man on the totem pole. It will be a great opportunity to learn from others with more experience. The best thing you can do in your first year is to team up with a mentor and learn all you can.
You may have a chance to travel. Many video games companies participate in electronics conventions. You may be able to staff a booth or participate in panels. This is a great opportunity to network.
One of the great benefits of being a game designer is that you get to try out new video games before anyone else. You may only get to try the games being designed by your own company, but you may also hear about what other companies are working on.
There are some stressful aspects to the job. You will be expected to have problem solving skills and not to give up when potential problems arise. Things will move at a lightning fast pace at times, and you have to be able to work well under pressure.
If you design a game that becomes successful, your own success will come that much sooner. The video game industry is growing rapidly, and with that growth will come plenty of further opportunities. Best of all, you can do what you love and get paid for it.
Schools Offering Training Programs in Game Design
- "Apply Now to The Art Institutes - Pursue Your Passion Today."
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Full Sail University offers online degree programs that are designed for the world of entertainment, media, arts, and technology. Full Sail's approach is centered on real-world industry experience and creative problem solving.
- Full Sail uses the experience and knowledge gained from more than three decades of educational innovation to create an unparalleled online education experience that challenges and inspires our students.
- Learning at Full Sail has always centered around interaction and the exchange of ideas, and our online curriculum fully embraces this philosophy with the aim of being the most people-focused education experience on the web.
- Through Full Sail’s multitude of online program offerings, students get: One-click access to instructors, Powerful collaborative tools, Interactive learning environments and Innovative curriculum.
- Full Sail's newest program is the Dan Patrick School of Sportscasting. Developed in collaboration with sportscasting veteran Dan Patrick, the goal is to provide students with real world experience both behind and in fornt of the camera.
- Online Courses
50 Years of Excellence In Education
Coleman University is a private non-profit teaching university founded in 1963 and located in San Diego, California. Its undergraduate and graduate programs prepare individuals for technology-focused careers and leadership. As San Diego’s oldest school dedicated to information technology, Coleman University has historically educated a large number of the region’s business-technology professionals.
- Liberty University's online programs ranked in the top 5 of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level**
- No standardized testing if you meet admission requirements
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Located in Hollywood, CA, offering degrees in film, music production, business, animation and more.
- Scholarship, financial aid and military benefits are available for students who qualify.
- Programs taught by award-winning industry professionals in real-world working environments.
- Features industry-standard facilities including recording studios, soundstages, green screen, movie theatres and more.
- Accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
- Financial Aid
Latest Game Design Articles & News
Detroit holds first annual design festival
Detroit will be hosting its first-ever design festival in order to promote designers in all fields in the area, according to The Detroit News.
National Design Award ceremony takes place next Tuesday
The finalists and winners of this year's National Design Awards will be having their annual ceremony a little late this year.