Graphic Design Career Options
If you're interested in pursuing a degree in graphic design, you should know that there are many career options from which to choose. Many think that graphic design is limited to the arrangement of words and graphics on the written page, but that is only a small part of what designers are able to do. With increased growth on the internet, graphic designers are spending more time producing for electronic media, but they also have other options.
Creative Director/Art Director
Graphic designers are hired as art directors or creative directors by different types of media outlets - particularly magazines, newspapers, and television networks. As an art director, or creative director, the designer will be in charge of a team that consists of artists, designers, photographers, and others. The team will work under the guidance of the art director/creative director to develop and produce the company's media products.
Brand Identity Designer
In larger cities, graphic designers can find employment with a company as a brand identity designer. Brand identity designers are responsible for developing products and promotional materials that will mold how the company is viewed by the public. Designers choose the look, feel, and use of particular brands or identities, and even have control over the psychological impact these products will have on consumers.
Many graphic designers specialize in logo production, which often offers the perfect balance of font/word choice and graphic creation that designers crave. Logo designers often freelance their services out and work as an independent contractor. They are hired by companies to produce signage, in-office products, and even marketing and promotional materials. Similar to the brand identity designer, a logo designer works to mold the company's public image using color, type, and graphics.
Graphic designers who work online often freelance, or they may work in house for companies that design and create websites. Flash designers are designers who take interactivity and the web one step further. They use flash animations, one of the hottest technologies to hit the Internet, to design unique applications for company websites. These flash designs can be used as advertisements, entertainment, or an information tool for the website visitor.
A graphic designer who specializes in coding can work as a webpage or website designer. Web designers understand complicated computer languages and create appealing websites for clients. They may also be hired to create just one page of a client's site, and projects can be as big or small as a client needs. Designers who create websites can be found working for website building companies, both online and in house, or they can freelance. Many website designers begin their business as a freelance venture until they have built an in-depth portfolio - the kind needed to impress large firms.
Graphic designers are often employed as prepress technicians for magazines and newspapers. Prepress technicians are responsible for several tasks before publications go to print - such as checking for typos and other errors, colors and graphic placement, and more. Prepress technicians also find work in desktop publishing.
Regardless of the path a graphic designer wishes to take, there are bound to be many great opportunities available. As the demand for books, magazines, websites, consumer goods grows, so does the demand for the advertising - and all these things and more offer career paths from which graphic designers can choose.
Schools Offering Training Programs in Graphic Design
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Online Courses
- Liberty University's online programs ranked in the top 5 of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level**
- No standardized testing if you meet admission requirements
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Web Design and Development (BS)
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Located in Hollywood, CA, offering degrees in film, music production, business, animation and more.
- Scholarship, financial aid and military benefits are available for students who qualify.
- Programs taught by award-winning industry professionals in real-world working environments.
- Features industry-standard facilities including recording studios, soundstages, green screen, movie theatres and more.
- Accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
- Financial Aid
Latest Graphic Design Articles & News
Designers to submit artwork to wine label contest
Graphic designers and artists are now able to enter the annual Artist Series Wine Label Design contest for The Capital Grille, and can submit their creations until October 7, according to the Orlando Sentinel.
Graphic designers fighting against new design opportunity at Huffington Post
The Huffington Post has recently issued a contest, asking graphic designers to create a new logo. However, the winning individual will not be paid for their design - they will only be recognized by name, rather than compensation, according to AdWeek.