What Does a Graphic Designer Do?
A graphic designer visually portrays a company's profile. They are able to take an idea, thought, or situation and have it speak volumes through their creative designs. The product produced by graphic designers for companies is often times the first representation a person sees for that company. It can be the one reason a person's interest is piqued and wants to know more, or to do business with that company. A graphic designer visually communicates through artwork and some typography. Their work can be seen just about anywhere such as brochures, business cards, logos, websites, productions, to name a few. They creatively solve problems by offering a business a better solution for their company's needs.
Oftentimes, the people that become graphic designers are those people with a discerning eye. Production artists, assistant designers, assistant art directors, production coordinators, and computer artists are usually all career options for graphic designers. The spectrum of available jobs for graphic designers includes a large array of different positions in print or television production. They are typically hired by advertising agencies, publishing houses, television studios, corporate communications departments, and design studios. Many do find it very profitable to also work on their own as a consultant to corporations, or web development companies. Another position that is some times held by a graphic designer is a web designer.
There are incredible tools that a graphic designer is experienced in and uses them to make their masterpieces. The more tools a graphic designer is knowledgeable in the more marketable they are. All graphic designers need to be well versed in production, electronic imaging, and computer graphics. They also use tools such as a computer scanner, digital cameras, and a variety of software packages. Many graphic designers are trained on Apple computers, instead of PCs but most know both platforms. It is best to be diverse and able to adapt to any environment.
It is also very important that you are building your portfolio while you are in school. Your portfolio is what puts you and your credentials in front of the person hiring for that position. It's very important to have an intensive portfolio that highlights all of your different skills. When interviewing a school, you will want to ask them if they help in portfolio creation. This is important to be able to market yourself immediately upon graduation.
Graphic design is a promising career, with many avenues to choose from. With the proper training and the ideal portfolio, your work will speak for itself.
Schools Offering Training Programs in Graphic Design
- Liberty University's online programs ranked in the top 5 of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level**
- No standardized testing if you meet admission requirements
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Web Design and Development (BS)
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Computer Animation (MFA)
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
Latest Graphic Design Articles & News
Designers to submit artwork to wine label contest
Graphic designers and artists are now able to enter the annual Artist Series Wine Label Design contest for The Capital Grille, and can submit their creations until October 7, according to the Orlando Sentinel.
Graphic designers fighting against new design opportunity at Huffington Post
The Huffington Post has recently issued a contest, asking graphic designers to create a new logo. However, the winning individual will not be paid for their design - they will only be recognized by name, rather than compensation, according to AdWeek.