How Do I Choose an Interior Design School?
Choosing a school where you will receive your education and develop your skills in a specific area of study is a daunting task no matter what area of you study you have chosen. In the case of interior design education, there are several things to consider before enrolling in a school, program, or course. Selecting the right school for you will require research, but the following information is intended to help get you started in the selection process.
Don't be fooled by courses or programs that limit your education and professional development, but lure you in by offering convenient schedules and quick completion time. Before you select a school, ask yourself what your ultimate education and career goals are. In most cases, you will need at least an Associates degree and it is always better to leave your options open for obtaining a Bachelor's degree. With that said, choose a school that is recognized by other accredited institutions as well as help you meet the licensing requirements in the state where you plan to work.
Licensing requirements are another important aspect to consider when choosing an interior design school. The requirements for licensing vary from state to state, but typically require a proven combination of education and work experience. Educational requirements are met by attending schools that are accredited by the governing bodies recognized by your home state. One accrediting body that weighs heavily in interior design education is the Council for Interior Design Accreditation. The best way to get the proper information is to contact several licensed, certified, and accredited interior designers in your area; ask them about licensing requirements in your state and any resources they might provide.
Other factors to consider when choosing an interior design school include any specific areas of study made available. If you have an idea of a specific area of interior design you would like to work in, research these types of positions and the education required to fill them. You can do this by checking job boards and local newspapers that advertise open employment opportunities. If you have a specific firm or company in mind, call their human resource department and ask them for information pertaining to the levels of education they require for employment consideration.
As you narrow down your school selection based on accreditation and area of study, compare the syllabus of several schools to see if you will be taking classes relevant to your education goals. Further investigate whether they help you prepare a professional portfolio and if they work with area companies to fill internships and assist with job placement. While these services may not be a requirement for certification, licensing, or accreditation, they are a benefit to you as a student.
You can always request information from a few select schools and compare them to one another. After a bit of research you will be armed with information to help you make a final decision and you will undoubtedly have uncovered the best school for your educational needs and career goals.
Schools Offering Training Programs in Interior Design
- "Apply Now to The Art Institutes - Pursue Your Passion Today."
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- A private, accredited distance learning college based in Norcross, Georgia founded in 1987.
- Ensures that service members, their spouses and veterans can maximize their military education benefits.
- Gives students the option to customize monthly payments to fit their budgets and lifestyle.
- Offers all-inclusive tuition: textbooks, learning materials, and academic support are covered in the cost.
- Allows alumni to enroll in any future program at a reduced rate.
- Online Courses
- Liberty University's online programs ranked in the top 5 of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level**
- No standardized testing if you meet admission requirements
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Located in Hollywood, CA, offering degrees in film, music production, business, animation and more.
- Scholarship, financial aid and military benefits are available for students who qualify.
- Programs taught by award-winning industry professionals in real-world working environments.
- Features industry-standard facilities including recording studios, soundstages, green screen, movie theatres and more.
- Accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
- Financial Aid
- Full Sail University offers online degree programs that are designed for the world of entertainment, media, arts, and technology. Full Sail's approach is centered on real-world industry experience and creative problem solving.
- Full Sail uses the experience and knowledge gained from more than three decades of educational innovation to create an unparalleled online education experience that challenges and inspires our students.
- Learning at Full Sail has always centered around interaction and the exchange of ideas, and our online curriculum fully embraces this philosophy with the aim of being the most people-focused education experience on the web.
- Through Full Sail’s multitude of online program offerings, students get: One-click access to instructors, Powerful collaborative tools, Interactive learning environments and Innovative curriculum.
- Full Sail's newest program is the Dan Patrick School of Sportscasting. Developed in collaboration with sportscasting veteran Dan Patrick, the goal is to provide students with real world experience both behind and in fornt of the camera.
- Online Courses
Latest Interior Design Articles & News
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.
Interior design company sweeps IDEA awards
A Richmond, Virginia, based design firm, Visible Proof, has garnered many of the top honors during the IDEA awards luncheon.