How to Become a Successful Residential Interior Designer
A residential interior designer handles a variety of different design tasks when working with homeowners. Their job is to consider the client's taste, how they live, what they need and expect. The design needs to be attractive, yet functional. This requires taking into consideration the space, furniture arrangement, how the room will be used, and the client's budget.
A residential interior designer mixes an artistic flair with a sensible knowledge of building codes and compliances. The designer should know how to draw designs on software programs like AutoCAD, and communicate well with everyone involved in the design process.
A Residential Interior Designer on the Job
A residential interior designer is in charge of designing rooms in individual homes. It is very common for these designers to specialize in certain areas of the home like kitchen design, bathroom design, or designing home offices. A client's home should reflect their personality. This requires a certain amount of skill and innovation.
There are several things a residential interior designer needs to do when hired for a job. First, they will need to analyze the space. The designer must also listen closely to determine the client's needs and decide whether or not building permits will be necessary to accomplish the job.
The next step is creating a design that pleases the client. A designer could be the only one considered for the job, or have to bid against other talented designers vying for the same job. A residential interior designer is usually paid a consulting fee for taking the time to assemble a design regardless of whether or not they land the job. Residential interior design requires the ability to multi-task:
- Pick a color scheme
- Find the right furniture for the space
- Help the client choose art and other decorative accessories
- Pick coordinating fabrics
- Determine whether or not the room should be remodeled
- Make structural changes to the building such as adding built-in storage, new windows, or doors
- Get necessary building permits
It is not uncommon for interior designers to develop relationships with other designer and professionals in other industries like construction. There can be a financial payoff involved with referring clients to use another company's services. These relationships help a residential interior designer to begin a design plan more quickly.
Licensing Requirements for Interior Designers
Some states do not require residential interior designers to be licenses. However, the American Society of Interior Designers (ASID) is lobbying to make it mandatory for designers to be licensed in order to provide their services to clients. A license requires accredited course study, an apprenticeship and passing an exam.
Schools Offering Training Programs in Interior Design
- Online and Bachelor's programs include B.S. in Advertising, B.S. in Web Design, B.A. in Interior Design, and more
- Curriculum focus on preparing students for a creative career by teaching them the fundamentals of advertising and design
- Students can choose from courses that cover areas such as advertising concepts, art direction, experience design, and online marketing
- Over 50 locations nationwide, with a student support team dedicated to helping students grow
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Online Courses
- An accredited computer training academy preparing students to enter the IT industry as Network Engineers, Software Engineers, Web Apps Developer, Website Designers, Programmers, Database Administrators since 2000.
- Holds A+ certification from CompTIA.
- Located in Los Angeles, approximately 10 minutes away from LAX.
- Flexible class schedules offered during day times, evenings and weekends.
- Helping students start a career in technology within 3 - 9 months.
- Educates with the mission to serve the needs of the local community and graduates by matching opportunities to skills.
- Military friendly school.
- Financial Aid
- Located in Hollywood, CA, offering degrees in film, music production, business, animation and more.
- Scholarship, financial aid and military benefits are available for students who qualify.
- Programs taught by award-winning industry professionals in real-world working environments.
- Features industry-standard facilities including recording studios, soundstages, green screen, movie theatres and more.
- Accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
- Financial Aid
- Provides students the opportunity to train at home in their spare time to get their high school diploma, train for a new career, or enhance current skills.
- Offers programs in psychology/social work, business management, medical billing, criminal justice, and more.
- Member of the United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA), the Canadian Network for Innovation in Education (CNIE), and the International Council for Open and Distance Education (ICDE).
- Features a fully flexible schedule with no classes to attend, leaving the study pace up to the student.
- Online Courses
Latest Interior Design Articles & News
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.
Interior design company sweeps IDEA awards
A Richmond, Virginia, based design firm, Visible Proof, has garnered many of the top honors during the IDEA awards luncheon.