Interior Design: Post Graduate Education Options
There are different levels of interior designers depending on the level of education and experience they receive. Interior designers can complete degree programs ranging from associate and bachelor's degree programs to a post graduate master's degree.
The interior design industry is quite competitive. It stands to reason that there is stiff competition when it comes to being admitted into many interior design schools. It is important t know what you want from a school before you begin looking. For example, you may be interested in attending a small school in an urban area for the intimacy it provides, or a larger school to maintain a sense of anonymity. There are graduate interior design programs available in large cities like New York and Los Angeles, and programs in smaller cities like Cleveland, Ohio. Your experience depends of the location and size of the school that you choose.
Required Courses for a Master's Degree
Post graduate master's courses cover a wide variety of topics in order to adequately prepare students for the world of interior design. Courses include the history of interior design, various design systems. Furniture and lighting design and construction documents so students are prepared to perform in a range of design fields.
A master's program of study in interior design usually includes teaching students to design a space using computer applications requiring drafting and graphic design skills. Graduates will continue learning design principles to develop creative, unique residential and commercial interior spaces. Once they graduate, they will have a complete understanding of how to use today's technology in the construction and architecture industries.
A student graduating with a master's degree in interior design will leave the program with a clear understanding of textiles, technical aspects of design and a thorough understanding of building codes and inspections regulations.
Interior Design Career Opportunities
Many graduating students of interior design decide to start their own design decide firms; while other designers continue their careers working for other companies. Interior designers with post graduate degrees can easily occupy jobs in many different areas of the design industry. They can work for architectural firms, furniture stores or industrial suppliers, just to name a few.
If you plan to pursue a master's degree in interior design, consider the highest level of education offered by the schools that interest you. Make sure that a master's of interior design program is available. Next, consider your state's licensing requirements for interior designers as some states have specific education and licensing requirements. Some states require aspiring designers to pass a standardized exam known as the Interior Design Qualification exam. A student with at least six years of combined work and education is eligible to take the exam.
Schools Offering Training Programs in Interior Design
- A private, accredited distance learning college based in Norcross, Georgia founded in 1987.
- Ensures that service members, their spouses and veterans can maximize their military education benefits.
- Gives students the option to customize monthly payments to fit their budgets and lifestyle.
- Offers all-inclusive tuition: textbooks, learning materials, and academic support are covered in the cost.
- Allows alumni to enroll in any future program at a reduced rate.
- Online Courses
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Push Your Creativity To The Next Level.
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Online Courses
- An accredited computer training academy preparing students to enter the IT industry as Network Engineers, Software Engineers, Web Apps Developer, Website Designers, Programmers, Database Administrators since 2000.
- Holds A+ certification from CompTIA.
- Located in Los Angeles, approximately 10 minutes away from LAX.
- Flexible class schedules offered during day times, evenings and weekends.
- Helping students start a career in technology within 3 - 9 months.
- Educates with the mission to serve the needs of the local community and graduates by matching opportunities to skills.
- Military friendly school.
- Financial Aid
- Offers several scholarship opportunities for students who qualify.
- Laptop computers are issued to each student at the beginning of their program.
- Provides programs in health care, business, information technology, and graphic arts.
- Respiratory Therapy program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC).
- Accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
Our family of non-profit colleges admits students of any race, color, and national or ethnic origin.Show more [+]
- Accelerated Programs
- Financial Aid
Latest Interior Design Articles & News
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.
Interior design company sweeps IDEA awards
A Richmond, Virginia, based design firm, Visible Proof, has garnered many of the top honors during the IDEA awards luncheon.