Interior Design: Post Graduate Education Options
There are different levels of interior designers depending on the level of education and experience they receive. Interior designers can complete degree programs ranging from associate and bachelor's degree programs to a post graduate master's degree.
The interior design industry is quite competitive. It stands to reason that there is stiff competition when it comes to being admitted into many interior design schools. It is important t know what you want from a school before you begin looking. For example, you may be interested in attending a small school in an urban area for the intimacy it provides, or a larger school to maintain a sense of anonymity. There are graduate interior design programs available in large cities like New York and Los Angeles, and programs in smaller cities like Cleveland, Ohio. Your experience depends of the location and size of the school that you choose.
Required Courses for a Master's Degree
Post graduate master's courses cover a wide variety of topics in order to adequately prepare students for the world of interior design. Courses include the history of interior design, various design systems. Furniture and lighting design and construction documents so students are prepared to perform in a range of design fields.
A master's program of study in interior design usually includes teaching students to design a space using computer applications requiring drafting and graphic design skills. Graduates will continue learning design principles to develop creative, unique residential and commercial interior spaces. Once they graduate, they will have a complete understanding of how to use today's technology in the construction and architecture industries.
A student graduating with a master's degree in interior design will leave the program with a clear understanding of textiles, technical aspects of design and a thorough understanding of building codes and inspections regulations.
Interior Design Career Opportunities
Many graduating students of interior design decide to start their own design decide firms; while other designers continue their careers working for other companies. Interior designers with post graduate degrees can easily occupy jobs in many different areas of the design industry. They can work for architectural firms, furniture stores or industrial suppliers, just to name a few.
If you plan to pursue a master's degree in interior design, consider the highest level of education offered by the schools that interest you. Make sure that a master's of interior design program is available. Next, consider your state's licensing requirements for interior designers as some states have specific education and licensing requirements. Some states require aspiring designers to pass a standardized exam known as the Interior Design Qualification exam. A student with at least six years of combined work and education is eligible to take the exam.
Schools Offering Training Programs in Interior Design
- "Apply Now to The Art Institutes - Pursue Your Passion Today."
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- A private, accredited distance learning college based in Norcross, Georgia founded in 1987.
- Ensures that service members, their spouses and veterans can maximize their military education benefits.
- Gives students the option to customize monthly payments to fit their budgets and lifestyle.
- Offers all-inclusive tuition: textbooks, learning materials, and academic support are covered in the cost.
- Allows alumni to enroll in any future program at a reduced rate.
- Online Courses
- Liberty University's online programs ranked in the top 5 of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level**
- No standardized testing if you meet admission requirements
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Located in Hollywood, CA, offering degrees in film, music production, business, animation and more.
- Scholarship, financial aid and military benefits are available for students who qualify.
- Programs taught by award-winning industry professionals in real-world working environments.
- Features industry-standard facilities including recording studios, soundstages, green screen, movie theatres and more.
- Accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
- Financial Aid
- Full Sail University offers online degree programs that are designed for the world of entertainment, media, arts, and technology. Full Sail's approach is centered on real-world industry experience and creative problem solving.
- Full Sail uses the experience and knowledge gained from more than three decades of educational innovation to create an unparalleled online education experience that challenges and inspires our students.
- Learning at Full Sail has always centered around interaction and the exchange of ideas, and our online curriculum fully embraces this philosophy with the aim of being the most people-focused education experience on the web.
- Through Full Sail’s multitude of online program offerings, students get: One-click access to instructors, Powerful collaborative tools, Interactive learning environments and Innovative curriculum.
- Full Sail's newest program is the Dan Patrick School of Sportscasting. Developed in collaboration with sportscasting veteran Dan Patrick, the goal is to provide students with real world experience both behind and in fornt of the camera.
- Online Courses
Latest Interior Design Articles & News
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.
Interior design company sweeps IDEA awards
A Richmond, Virginia, based design firm, Visible Proof, has garnered many of the top honors during the IDEA awards luncheon.