Internships in Interior Design
Students enrolled in an interior design program have the opportunity to pursue an internship in this field. The internship teaches the student valuable real life experience and they earn college credit at the same time. However the student needs to do a few specific things to earn an interior design internship.
The first thing an interior design student must have before seeking an internship is a diverse portfolio. Employers and managers look at the student's portfolio to see past examples of their work and see how the student handles assignments. Those without any professional experience can still create a portfolio of designs they created in class. This shows employers what the student is capable of producing on their own.
Once a student has their portfolio in place, they can begin to look for an internship. The best way a student can go about looking for an internship is to talk with their professors, advisor and career center on campus. The career center often lists internships only for students at the school and they can also offer help on finding one not sanctioned by the school. Professors and advisors are also a great source of information because they have access to professionals working in the area. They can find internships or give students contact information to ask for help from their friends and contacts.
Another way students are finding internships in interior design is by joining the American Society of Interior Designers. The program has offices all across the United States and offers discounted memberships for students. Students who attend the meetings have the chance to network and make contacts with professionals in the industry. This can lead to internships posted for all members. Additionally students can talk with their new contacts and broach the idea of an internship.
There's also cold calling, which many students have found helpful in the past. Students who call all the interior design firms in their area may find an unadvertised internship or give the owner of the company the idea of offering one. Those who are afraid of calling a stranger can send out letters with their resume attached or send out an introductory email asking about possible internships.
After a student schedules an appointment or interview for a potential internship, they need to focus on preparing themselves just as they would for a paid job interview. The student should dress the part in a nice suit or pressed pants and a button up shirt; bringing a portfolio is a must. In addition the student should rehearse practice questions an interviewer might ask and practice their own responses to those questions. The student should also remember to stay calm and keep a level tone to land that interior design internship.
One of the many benefits of attending interior design school is the opportunity to complete one of these internships. The student sees firsthand how the interior design world works and gains experience they can add to their resume. When they begin to look for jobs after college, prospective employers know that these students are more experienced than some of their classmates.
Schools Offering Training Programs in Interior Design
- "Apply Now to The Art Institutes - Pursue Your Passion Today."
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Full Sail University offers online degree programs that are designed for the world of entertainment, media, arts, and technology. Full Sail's approach is centered on real-world industry experience and creative problem solving.
- Full Sail uses the experience and knowledge gained from more than three decades of educational innovation to create an unparalleled online education experience that challenges and inspires our students.
- Learning at Full Sail has always centered around interaction and the exchange of ideas, and our online curriculum fully embraces this philosophy with the aim of being the most people-focused education experience on the web.
- Through Full Sail’s multitude of online program offerings, students get: One-click access to instructors, Powerful collaborative tools, Interactive learning environments and Innovative curriculum.
- Full Sail's newest program is the Dan Patrick School of Sportscasting. Developed in collaboration with sportscasting veteran Dan Patrick, the goal is to provide students with real world experience both behind and in fornt of the camera.
- Online Courses
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Bachelor’s program options include Communication, Political Communication, Cinema-Television, and more.
- Several concentrations available, including Rhetoric and Public Culture, Strategic Communication, Theatre, Journalism, Internet and Social Media, and more.
- All concentrations are designed to teach students the fundamentals of journalism, helping them prepare for careers as reporters and writers.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Online Courses
Latest Interior Design Articles & News
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.
Interior design company sweeps IDEA awards
A Richmond, Virginia, based design firm, Visible Proof, has garnered many of the top honors during the IDEA awards luncheon.