Dressing the first lady
on Wednesday,January 21,2009 21:01
The eyes of the fashion world were on Washington this week where the Inaugural festivities provided an opportunity to showcase the work of America''s famous as well as lesser known designers.
For her daytime outfit, which she wore during her husband''s swearing-in ceremony, Michelle Obama chose an ensemble of pale yellow sheath dress with a matching overcoat by Isabel Toledo, accented with a pair of green gloves from J.Crew and Jimmy Choo pumps.
Applauding her choice, Simon Doonan, the creative director at Barney''s New York, said that it was about "formality, appropriateness and history," according to a special Newsday report.
For the evening round of inaugural balls the first lady wore a white chiffon one-shoulder gown by Jason Wu who, at only 26, is bound to see his profile rise in the industry. It confirms a trend that many have already noted: Michelle Obama likes young designers, and the next four years - or eight, who knows - may be very good for them.
Constance White, eBay''s fashion director, told Newsday that sees a potential in Mrs. Obama to contribute to American fashion because "she will be broadcasting American talent around the world."
Isabel Toledo attended the Fashion Institute of Technology and the Parsons School of Design, both in New York, where she studied painting, ceramics, and fashion design.
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Online Courses
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.