Professor tapped as official White House photographer
on Monday,January 26,2009 22:01
Barack Obama has turned to an award-winning photographer, and a college professor, to document the next four years of his historic presidency.
Pete Souza, 54, who also worked for the Chicago Tribune, has done it all before: he worked as a photographer for the Reagan administration from 1983 to 1989, and was asked to photograph the funeral of the former president in 2004 at the request of his widow, Nancy Reagan, according to the newspaper.
The Tribune also reports that Souza negotiated close access to the president because, as he says, "I''m there for history. I''m not there for photo-ops. I''m there to document what is going on behind the scenes."
Souza''s career included freelance work for National Geographic and Life Magazine. He was also one of the first photojournalists to cover the fall of Kabul after 9/11, and his photos appeared on the covers of Fortune, Newsweek and U.S. News and World Report, according to examiner.com.
In 2007, Souza left the Chicago Tribune''s Washington Bureau to teach photojournalism at Ohio University. He is also the author of a best-selling photo book "The Rise of Barack Obama."
A native of Massachusetts, Souza graduated from Boston University, and holds a master''s degree from Kansas State University.
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Online Courses
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.