New education secretary promises radical reforms
on Tuesday,January 27,2009 22:01
President Obama''s newly confirmed education secretary comes with an impressive resume and will be charged with a daunting task.
Arne Duncan is expected to conduct sweeping reforms of American education, something Obama strongly emphasized during his recent campaign.
He has a record of successfully reforming one of the toughest school districts in the country when he served as the Chicago public schools'' chief executive from 2001-2009.
During his confirmation hearing, Duncan listed such priorities as expanding the ranks of quality teachers, support for charter schools, as well as broadening access to colleges and universities and making them more affordable, according to the Washington Post.
Responding to the latter goal, Cynthia Brown, director of education policy at the Center for American Progress, warned that Duncan''s biggest challenge will be student financial aid, but expressed confidence in his commitment to disadvantaged students, according to diverseeducation.com.
Others have voiced concerns about Duncan''s lack of experience with higher education. While he sits on several higher education boards, he has never taught at that level and has little policy experience.
However, the website quotes Maureen Gillette, dean of the College of Education at Northeastern Illinois University in Chicago, as saying that based on her Chicago experience "he will be willing to work with all of us to achieve his goals."
Duncan''s confirmation comes as Congress begins a debate over the size and scope of more than $120 billion in proposed emergency education aid.
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Dedicated career services team that helps students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary
- Program Coordinators focus on improving program content and ensure that students have the resources they need
- Over 50 locations nationwide
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Online Courses
- A private, accredited distance learning college based in Norcross, Georgia founded in 1987.
- Ensures that service members, their spouses and veterans can maximize their military education benefits.
- Gives students the option to customize monthly payments to fit their budgets and lifestyle.
- Offers all-inclusive tuition: textbooks, learning materials, and academic support are covered in the cost.
- Allows alumni to enroll in any future program at a reduced rate.
- Online Courses
- An accredited computer training academy preparing students to enter the IT industry as Network Engineers, Software Engineers, Web Apps Developer, Website Designers, Programmers, Database Administrators since 2000.
- Holds A+ certification from CompTIA.
- Located in Los Angeles, approximately 10 minutes away from LAX.
- Flexible class schedules offered during day times, evenings and weekends.
- Helping students start a career in technology within 3 - 9 months.
- Educates with the mission to serve the needs of the local community and graduates by matching opportunities to skills.
- Military friendly school.
- Financial Aid
- Offers several scholarship opportunities for students who qualify.
- Laptop computers are issued to each student at the beginning of their program.
- Provides programs in health care, business, information technology, and graphic arts.
- Respiratory Therapy program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC).
- Accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
Our family of non-profit colleges admits students of any race, color, and national or ethnic origin.Show more [+]
- Accelerated Programs
- Financial Aid
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.