Will technology bring immortality to Hollywood
on Wednesday,January 28,2009 22:01
Technological advances are making it possible to digitally recreate actors, a development which raises tantalizing possibilities but stirs controversy as well.
While computer generation is nothing new in the movie industry - think Jurassic Park or Lord of the Rings - the increasingly sophisticated software will soon allow experts to recreate a human face, with all its subtle expressions, that is indistinguishable from the real person, according to an article in the Arizona Republic.
What this means is that actors can potentially perform past their retirement age and even after they are dead.
We may not quite be there yet, but Rick Bergman - general manager of Advanced Micro Devices graphics products group - told the newspaper, "With what we''re starting to deliver with our chips, the computing power is getting real close."
Some have expressed misgivings about a technology that may blur the line between reality and illusion.
However, as Mark Friedlander - national director of new media for the Screen Actors Guild - told the Arizona Republic, "I don''t really see technology in any way replacing performers. I see it enhancing the possibility of storytelling."
As the debate continues, CG is there to stay: despite expensive software it is often more cost effective than flying a movie crew to exotic locations to shoot scenes.
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Online and Bachelor's programs include B.S. in Advertising, B.S. in Web Design, B.A. in Interior Design, and more
- Curriculum focus on preparing students for a creative career by teaching them the fundamentals of advertising and design
- Students can choose from courses that cover areas such as advertising concepts, art direction, experience design, and online marketing
- Over 50 locations nationwide, with a student support team dedicated to helping students grow
- Join our next Open House on 10/21 (10/28 @ select locations)!
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Campus-based and online degrees include Computer Animation (BS), Digital Arts and Design (BS), Graphic Design (BS), and more
- Students take ongoing portfolio courses that allow them to build and refine their design portfolio
- Courses teach skills such as advertising, branding, visual messaging, and concept design
- Curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement
- Online Courses
- Web Design and Development (BS)
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.