Entrepreneur sets up a photojournalism fund
on Wednesday,January 28,2009 22:01
Responding to the need to chronicle human rights abuses, a successful businessman''s foundation provides resources for photojournalists to document injustices around the world.
Andy Patrick launched his FiftyCrows Foundation in 2001 and has thus far disbursed $300,000 to young photographers who documented events such as child marriage in Afghanistan and the hardships of illegal immigrants from Central America and Mexico, according to a CNN.com feature article.
The foundation''s website states that one of its main goals is to "increase access to documentary photographic essays for under-served populations, especially children, minorities and teenagers."
Patrick experienced his first business success at age 11 when he set up a shopping service for his snowed-in neighbors. But he made his fortune when he launched Adjacency Brand New Media, an e-commerce website developer in 1995, which he subsequently sold for $67 million.
"Being lucky is a big part of success," he told CNN and added that he "decided to turn my good fortune into something that could bring about positive change."
Initially funded by some of the money from the sale of Adjacency, the foundation supports its current activities with donations and proceeds from the sale of works by well-known photographers, such as Debbie Fleming Caffrey, through its Fine Print Program.
In addition to providing grants, FiftyCrows helps young artists showcase their work through Patrick''s latest business venture liveBooks.com which creates web-based applications for professional photographers.
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- "Apply Now to The Art Institutes - Pursue Your Passion Today."
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Web Design and Development (BS)
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.