Piano to design Athens Modern Urban Icon
on Friday,January 30,2009 21:01
A famous Italian architect keeps busy with a second major project revealed this month.
Renzo Piano''s architectural firm has presented the design of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center, housing the National Library of Greece and the Greek National Opera, both set within the Stavros Niarchos Park in Athens.
Hailed as a "new urban icon," the complex will feature art exhibits and a technologically advanced library which will be made available to both physical and virtual users.
Moreover, in keeping with the designer and the sponsor''s principles, the blueprint envisions environmentally friendly, emissions neutral facilities. To achieve that, Piano and his Building Workshop studio designed an innovative roof that will consist of a series of interconnected photovoltaic cell panels allowing the structure to utilize solar and wind energy.
According to Piano, "The Cultural Center''s proximity to water, and the natural warm breezes and light of Athens were particularly inspiring during the design process." He also thanked the Foundation for giving him a chance to contribute to "such a generous gift to Greece."
The news follows a recent announcement that Piano, 71, has been commissioned to work on an architectural revival project in Valletta, Malta.
The Foundation''s goal for the Cultural Center is to honor Greek culture by enabling both Greek and global visitors to experience art, education, and green space.
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef, Project Runway.
- A team of about 4,000 faculty members are focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Academic programs available in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Program Coordinators work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Member of the United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA), the Canadian Network for Innovation in Education (CNIE), and the International Council for Open and Distance Education (ICDE).
- Features a fully flexible schedule with no classes to attend, leaving the study pace up to the student.
- Offers a high school diploma program through distance learning materials.
- Specializes in distance learning courses to award diplomas.
- Online Courses
- More than 90% of new graduates land jobs in their fields of study within six months of graduation
- Campus locations feature admissions, financial aid and career services offices, libraries, study areas, computer and electronics labs, cafeterias and common areas, tutoring facilities, and more.
- Centers are smaller, and are located throughout major metropolitan areas.
- More than 85% of students receive financial aid in the form of scholarships and grants.
- Degree programs are designed and updated regularly with input from industry leaders.
- Offers support for financial aid and job placement
- Online Courses
- Approved A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) since 2009.
- Offers career assistance and resource services to both students and graduates.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available to students who qualify.
- Accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACCSC).
- 4 campus locations in Atascadero, San Luis Obispo, Santa Maria, and Oxnard, California, with online options as well.
When students arrive at The Los Angeles Film School, they have passion and a dream. They know where they want to end up, but not how to get there. We will guide you on your journey through our associate’s and bachelor’s degree programs in Film, Recording Arts, Music Production, Animation & VFX, Game Production & Design and Entertainment Business toward fulfilling that dream.
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.