Piano to design Athens Modern Urban Icon
on Friday,January 30,2009 21:01
A famous Italian architect keeps busy with a second major project revealed this month.
Renzo Piano''s architectural firm has presented the design of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center, housing the National Library of Greece and the Greek National Opera, both set within the Stavros Niarchos Park in Athens.
Hailed as a "new urban icon," the complex will feature art exhibits and a technologically advanced library which will be made available to both physical and virtual users.
Moreover, in keeping with the designer and the sponsor''s principles, the blueprint envisions environmentally friendly, emissions neutral facilities. To achieve that, Piano and his Building Workshop studio designed an innovative roof that will consist of a series of interconnected photovoltaic cell panels allowing the structure to utilize solar and wind energy.
According to Piano, "The Cultural Center''s proximity to water, and the natural warm breezes and light of Athens were particularly inspiring during the design process." He also thanked the Foundation for giving him a chance to contribute to "such a generous gift to Greece."
The news follows a recent announcement that Piano, 71, has been commissioned to work on an architectural revival project in Valletta, Malta.
The Foundation''s goal for the Cultural Center is to honor Greek culture by enabling both Greek and global visitors to experience art, education, and green space.
- Online and Bachelor's programs include B.S. in Advertising, B.S. in Web Design, B.A. in Interior Design, and more
- Curriculum focus on preparing students for a creative career by teaching them the fundamentals of advertising and design
- Students can choose from courses that cover areas such as advertising concepts, art direction, experience design, and online marketing
- Over 50 locations nationwide, with a student support team dedicated to helping students grow
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Online Courses
Our objective is to prepare you for a life-long, successful career in Media Arts, Business or Information Technology. Our goal is to provide you with the best possible foundation that will serve you in your first job as well as throughout your career.
- Graphic Design/Desktop Publishing
- Multimedia and Design
- An accredited computer training academy preparing students to enter the IT industry as Network Engineers, Software Engineers, Web Apps Developer, Website Designers, Programmers, Database Administrators since 2000.
- Holds A+ certification from CompTIA.
- Located in Los Angeles, approximately 10 minutes away from LAX.
- Flexible class schedules offered during day times, evenings and weekends.
- Helping students start a career in technology within 3 - 9 months.
- Educates with the mission to serve the needs of the local community and graduates by matching opportunities to skills.
- Military friendly school.
- Financial Aid
- Offers several scholarship opportunities for students who qualify.
- Laptop computers are issued to each student at the beginning of their program.
- Provides programs in health care, business, information technology, and graphic arts.
- Respiratory Therapy program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC).
- Accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
Our family of non-profit colleges admits students of any race, color, and national or ethnic origin.Show more [+]
- Accelerated Programs
- Financial Aid
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.