Piano to design Athens Modern Urban Icon
on Friday,January 30,2009 21:01
A famous Italian architect keeps busy with a second major project revealed this month.
Renzo Piano''s architectural firm has presented the design of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center, housing the National Library of Greece and the Greek National Opera, both set within the Stavros Niarchos Park in Athens.
Hailed as a "new urban icon," the complex will feature art exhibits and a technologically advanced library which will be made available to both physical and virtual users.
Moreover, in keeping with the designer and the sponsor''s principles, the blueprint envisions environmentally friendly, emissions neutral facilities. To achieve that, Piano and his Building Workshop studio designed an innovative roof that will consist of a series of interconnected photovoltaic cell panels allowing the structure to utilize solar and wind energy.
According to Piano, "The Cultural Center''s proximity to water, and the natural warm breezes and light of Athens were particularly inspiring during the design process." He also thanked the Foundation for giving him a chance to contribute to "such a generous gift to Greece."
The news follows a recent announcement that Piano, 71, has been commissioned to work on an architectural revival project in Valletta, Malta.
The Foundation''s goal for the Cultural Center is to honor Greek culture by enabling both Greek and global visitors to experience art, education, and green space.
- Web Design and Development (BS)
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.