Black photography exhibition opens at the Smithsonian
on Wednesday,February 04,2009 19:02
An exhibition celebrating almost a century of the black community''s history and transformation is on display in Washington, D.C.
The Scurlock Studio and Black Washington: Picturing the Promise focuses on the work of Addison Scurlock and two of his sons who, between 1911 to 1994, managed to capture on celluloid some of the most unforgettable images associated with the rise of the black community as a social and economic force.
More than 100 photographs document the dynamic evolution of a black middle class despite segregation and depict the civil rights movement as well as the damaging effects the later riots had on the thriving community.
The Scurlocks also captured some of the most prominent leaders of the community, including Duke Ellington, Ralph Bunche, Mary McLeod Bethune and Muhammad Ali.
"[T]hese images [represent] the beauty of black folks, the dignity of African Americans not just in contrast to racist imagery, but the way in which people want to see themselves," Paul Gardullo, museum curator of the National Museum of African American History and Culture, which helped curate the exhibit, told the Associated Press.
And the museum stresses that the photographs show Washington as "the mecca for leaders in African American business, culture and higher education long before New York City''s Harlem."
The exhibition - a collaboration between the National Museum of African American History and Culture and the National Museum of American History - will be on view through November 15.
- Provides students the opportunity to train at home in their spare time to get their high school diploma, train for a new career, or enhance current skills.
- Offers programs in psychology/social work, business management, medical billing, criminal justice, and more.
- Member of the United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA), the Canadian Network for Innovation in Education (CNIE), and the International Council for Open and Distance Education (ICDE).
- Features a fully flexible schedule with no classes to attend, leaving the study pace up to the student.
- Online Courses
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- An accredited computer training academy preparing students to enter the IT industry as Network Engineers, Software Engineers, Web Apps Developer, Website Designers, Programmers, Database Administrators since 2000.
- Holds A+ certification from CompTIA.
- Located in Los Angeles, approximately 10 minutes away from LAX.
- Flexible class schedules offered during day times, evenings and weekends.
- Helping students start a career in technology within 3 - 9 months.
- Educates with the mission to serve the needs of the local community and graduates by matching opportunities to skills.
- Military friendly school.
- Financial Aid
- Push Your Creativity To The Next Level.
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Online Courses
- Offers several scholarship opportunities for students who qualify.
- Laptop computers are issued to each student at the beginning of their program.
- Provides programs in health care, business, information technology, and graphic arts.
- Respiratory Therapy program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC).
- Accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
Our family of non-profit colleges admits students of any race, color, and national or ethnic origin.Show more [+]
- Accelerated Programs
- Financial Aid
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.