Casinos and churches keep architects busy during recession
on Monday,February 23,2009 22:02
The construction industry has been among the hardest-hit during the current downturn, but architects may be insulated from the worst of it by availability of projects from sectors which are more recession-proof than others.
Walsh Bishop, an architectural firm based in Minneapolis, is hopeful that growth in the casino industry will see them through the tough times.
The firm is currently in charge of the Sands Bethworks project in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, the Stockbridge Munsee Band''s Mohican North Star Casino in Bowler, Wisconsin, and the St. Croix Chippewas Hole in the Wall Casino in Danbury, Wisconsin, according to financeandcommerce.com.
Although some of the projects are currently seeking refinancing, "We fully expect that within the next six months, all the projects that are on hold will come back," says Keith OBrien, vice president of Walsh Bishop''s Entertainment and Hospitality Group, as quoted by the website.
Meanwhile, steady numbers of church projects are keeping architects busy in places like Columbus, Ohio.
Even though they face many of the same challenges as everybody else, congregations that are growing need to expand their real estate, and others want to make their buildings energy efficient, according to Business First of Columbus, a local business journal.
Some churches find that the recession may be a good time for new design projects as contractors who need work offer competitive prices, says the report.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, demand for architects will grow by 18 percent until 2016.
- Online education designed for students who want to keep updated on innovations to technology and management
- Each student receives an individualized learning plan and can choose from self-paced or term-based learning programs
- Degrees offered in Criminal Justice Administration, Information Technology, Management, and more
- Online Courses
- Ranked in the top 100 of U.S. News & World Report’s Best Colleges in the South in 2015.
- Ranked #23 for The 30 Best Online Colleges in 2014 by TheBestSchools.org.
- Offers innovative and unique degree programs that cater to the demands of the local economy.
- Proud to be a member of the Independent Colleges and Universities of Florida (ICUF).
- Has a main campus in Boca Raton, Florida, with additional locations in Orlando and Sarasota.
- Online Courses
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.