Famous wine maker hires Lucian Freud to illustrate label
on Friday,February 27,2009 22:02
Baroness Philippine De Rothschild has announced that a well-known artist will design the label for the 2006 vintage of the Chateau Mouton Rothschild.
The tradition of commissioning artists to create an original artwork for the label goes back to 1945, and this year it is honored with the exhibition titled Mouton Rothschild - Paintings for the Labels at the Wolfsonian-Florida International University which will be held until March 8.
According to Chateau Mouton Rothschild, Freud''s illustration represents a transposition of the pleasure of drinking, depicting the transformation of the vinestock into a palm tree and the wine lover into a "happily anticipatory" zebra.
"I am particularly happy to have been given this opportunity by the Wolfsonian to present an exhibition which brings together the most famous names of modern and contemporary art," said Baroness Philippine alluding to works by Joan Miro, Marc Chagall, Pablo Picasso, Salvador Dali, Andy Warhol and many others who illustrated labels for Mouton.
She adds, "It will allow those who until now have only been familiar with reproductions of the artworks on the labels, to admire at last the originals created since 1945 to the glory of Mouton."
Lucian Freud was born in 1922 and is considered to be a master of contemporary portraiture. His 1995 portrait Benefits Supervisor Sleeping was sold in 2008 for $33.6 million, the highest price ever fetched by a living artist.
- Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Push Your Creativity To The Next Level.
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Online Courses
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.