No consensus on future of student loans
on Tuesday,March 03,2009 22:03
While the government has praised the new education budget and reform plans as a road to making college affordable and accessible, others have bemoaned the proposed elimination of the federally guaranteed student loan program.
President Obama''s recent budget draft calls for phasing out the Federal Family Education Loan Program (FFELP) and replacing it by the direct-loan program run by the Education Department.
The move would make the future of Sallie Mae, the biggest private lender, as well as others highly uncertain.
Representative George Miller, a democrat from California and chairman of the House education committee, praised the proposal, calling it "a solid plan to make federal student loans more reliable, while saving taxpayers billions of dollars."
However, on the day it was announced shares in Sallie Mae were down 37 percent at the New York Stock Exchange, while Student Loan Corp, a major lender tied to Citigroup, was down 24 percent, according to CNNMoney.com.
The government was motivated in its decision by the need to cut costs and stressed that FFELP has been too expensive and overly dependent on the stock market.
In his statement discussing the new education budget, Secretary Arne Duncan said its provisions and the funding available through the stimulus package will make college loans reliable, stable and efficient, insulating families from the turmoil of the financial markets.
- Push Your Creativity To The Next Level.
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Online Courses
- Web Design and Development (BS)
- Offers several scholarship opportunities for students who qualify.
- Laptop computers are issued to each student at the beginning of their program.
- Provides programs in health care, business, information technology, and graphic arts.
- Respiratory Therapy program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC).
- Accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
- Game Art & Design (BS)
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.