Barbie turns 50
on Tuesday,March 10,2009 20:03
One of the most iconic toys in history is celebrating its 50th anniversary this month with Mattel and Toy"R"Us "rolling out the pink carpet."
Barbie, a fashion doll, was created in 1959 and became an instant sensation spawning a cosmetics line, apparel stores throughout Asia and an entertainment franchise that has sold more than 65 million DVDs, according to CNN.
"For generations of fans, Barbie has been the model of sophistication, style and fashion," says Karen Dodge, senior vice president and chief merchandising officer for Toys"R"Us.
Throughout March, the toy store will celebrate what it calls "the pop culture princess" that started the era of fashion doll business with in-store Barbie boutiques showcasing a vast assortment of dolls, collectibles, clothing and accessories.
There will also be special parties in stores around the country.
The highlight of the celebration will be the Barbie anniversary party at the company''s international flagship store in New York''s Times Square on March 14. The store will feature a life-size, two-story Barbie dollhouse decorated with anniversary flair, complete with a pink carpet, a giant cupcake and confetti.
According to Lauren Dougherty, a spokeswoman for Mattel, the doll''s producer, 90 percent of American girls ages 3 to 10 own a Barbie doll, and it is sold in 150 countries around the world.
- Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Push Your Creativity To The Next Level.
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Online Courses
- Game Art & Design (BS)
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.