Barbie turns 50
on Tuesday,March 10,2009 20:03
One of the most iconic toys in history is celebrating its 50th anniversary this month with Mattel and Toy"R"Us "rolling out the pink carpet."
Barbie, a fashion doll, was created in 1959 and became an instant sensation spawning a cosmetics line, apparel stores throughout Asia and an entertainment franchise that has sold more than 65 million DVDs, according to CNN.
"For generations of fans, Barbie has been the model of sophistication, style and fashion," says Karen Dodge, senior vice president and chief merchandising officer for Toys"R"Us.
Throughout March, the toy store will celebrate what it calls "the pop culture princess" that started the era of fashion doll business with in-store Barbie boutiques showcasing a vast assortment of dolls, collectibles, clothing and accessories.
There will also be special parties in stores around the country.
The highlight of the celebration will be the Barbie anniversary party at the company''s international flagship store in New York''s Times Square on March 14. The store will feature a life-size, two-story Barbie dollhouse decorated with anniversary flair, complete with a pink carpet, a giant cupcake and confetti.
According to Lauren Dougherty, a spokeswoman for Mattel, the doll''s producer, 90 percent of American girls ages 3 to 10 own a Barbie doll, and it is sold in 150 countries around the world.
- Online and Bachelor's programs include B.S. in Advertising, B.S. in Web Design, B.A. in Interior Design, and more
- Curriculum focus on preparing students for a creative career by teaching them the fundamentals of advertising and design
- Students can choose from courses that cover areas such as advertising concepts, art direction, experience design, and online marketing
- Over 50 locations nationwide, with a student support team dedicated to helping students grow
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Campus-based and online degrees include Computer Animation (BS), Digital Arts and Design (BS), Graphic Design (BS), and more
- Students take ongoing portfolio courses that allow them to build and refine their design portfolio
- Courses teach skills such as advertising, branding, visual messaging, and concept design
- Curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement
- Online Courses
- Offers several scholarship opportunities for students who qualify.
- Laptop computers are issued to each student at the beginning of their program.
- Provides programs in health care, business, information technology, and graphic arts.
- Respiratory Therapy program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC).
- Accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
Our family of non-profit colleges admits students of any race, color, and national or ethnic origin.Show more [+]
- Accelerated Programs
- Financial Aid
- A private, accredited distance learning college based in Norcross, Georgia founded in 1987.
- Ensures that service members, their spouses and veterans can maximize their military education benefits.
- Gives students the option to customize monthly payments to fit their budgets and lifestyle.
- Offers all-inclusive tuition: textbooks, learning materials, and academic support are covered in the cost.
- Allows alumni to enroll in any future program at a reduced rate.
- Online Courses
- Graphic Design/Desktop Publishing
- Multimedia and Design
- An accredited computer training academy preparing students to enter the IT industry as Network Engineers, Software Engineers, Web Apps Developer, Website Designers, Programmers, Database Administrators since 2000.
- Holds A+ certification from CompTIA.
- Located in Los Angeles, approximately 10 minutes away from LAX.
- Flexible class schedules offered during day times, evenings and weekends.
- Helping students start a career in technology within 3 - 9 months.
- Educates with the mission to serve the needs of the local community and graduates by matching opportunities to skills.
- Military friendly school.
- Financial Aid
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.