Fashion event aims to show thrifty is contemporary and hot
on Tuesday,March 17,2009 20:03
The bad economy may be credited with a range of creative solutions in the fashion world, most recently visible at a local fashion show aiming to convince buyers that thrifty can be glamorous, too.
The show at the Arlington United Methodist Church in Arlington, Virginia, was sponsored by Goodwill of Greater Washington and showcased the hidden fashion treasures that can be found in consignment shops and thrift stores, according to CNN.
Goodwill''s mission is to provide job training and employment services to people with disabilities, and it funds its activities through the resale of donated items at their retail stores.
Brendan Hurley, senior vice president of marketing and communications for the organization, was quoted by CNN as saying Goodwill of Greater Washington started a campaign four years ago to make the stores more appealing as a source of inexpensive fashions by holding virtual and live fashion shows.
With the recession underway, these types of events appear timelier than ever.
What is more, even haute couture seems increasingly to have the cost-conscious customer in mind, a trend unthinkable as recently as last year.
In February, a new Armani boutique opened on Fifth Avenue in New York as a concept store that mixes different genres and juxtaposes items in different price brackets.
- Apparel Design (AA)
- Apparel Design (BFA)
- Online and Bachelor's programs include B.S. in Advertising, B.S. in Web Design, B.A. in Interior Design, and more
- Curriculum focus on preparing students for a creative career by teaching them the fundamentals of advertising and design
- Students can choose from courses that cover areas such as advertising concepts, art direction, experience design, and online marketing
- Over 50 locations nationwide, with a student support team dedicated to helping students grow
- Join our next Open House on 10/21 (10/28 @ select locations)!
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.