Education Secretary to meet on Opportunity to Learn Commission today
on Monday,March 23,2009 20:03
Secretary of Education Arne Duncan and Congressman Chaka Fattah are meeting today to discuss a proposal to set up the National Commission on the Opportunity to Learn.
The Commission, proposed by Representative Fattah, a Pennsylvania Democrat, would explore resource adequacy and equity in learning, and work with states to address issues that concern all students'' "opportunity to learn."
Fattah, who is also author of the recently enacted tuition tax credit, proposed the creation of the Commission during a White House meeting with President Obama on February 26.
Since then his proposal has gained support from leading education and civil rights organizations, including the National Education Association, Teach For America and the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.
"We have a president who understands that the success of our nation is directly tied to the educational opportunities provided to future generations," says Fattah, adding "Students must be given every possible opportunity to achieve their full academic potential."
The meeting between Fattah and Secretary Duncan will also include discussion of other education reform issues including expansion of GEAR UP, Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs.
Fattah previously sponsored the American Opportunity Tax Credit Act which was incorporated into the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act and includes a $2,500 tuition tax credit for eligible families.
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- "Apply Now to The Art Institutes - Pursue Your Passion Today."
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Full Sail University offers online degree programs that are designed for the world of entertainment, media, arts, and technology. Full Sail's approach is centered on real-world industry experience and creative problem solving.
- Full Sail uses the experience and knowledge gained from more than three decades of educational innovation to create an unparalleled online education experience that challenges and inspires our students.
- Learning at Full Sail has always centered around interaction and the exchange of ideas, and our online curriculum fully embraces this philosophy with the aim of being the most people-focused education experience on the web.
- Through Full Sail’s multitude of online program offerings, students get: One-click access to instructors, Powerful collaborative tools, Interactive learning environments and Innovative curriculum.
- Full Sail's newest program is the Dan Patrick School of Sportscasting. Developed in collaboration with sportscasting veteran Dan Patrick, the goal is to provide students with real world experience both behind and in fornt of the camera.
- Online Courses
- A private, accredited distance learning college based in Norcross, Georgia founded in 1987.
- Ensures that service members, their spouses and veterans can maximize their military education benefits.
- Gives students the option to customize monthly payments to fit their budgets and lifestyle.
- Offers all-inclusive tuition: textbooks, learning materials, and academic support are covered in the cost.
- Allows alumni to enroll in any future program at a reduced rate.
- Online Courses
- Web Design and Development (BS)
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.