New Renzo Piano building set to rise in London
on Tuesday,March 31,2009 21:03
Construction work has just begun on London''s 1,000 feet (310m) Shard of Glass, which will be Western Europe''s tallest building.
Designed by Renzo Piano and scheduled for completion in 2012 in the London Bridge quarter near the Thames River, the Shard will be 200 feet taller than the 800 feet Canary Wharf Tower, according to Devono.com.
It will include Europe''s first Shangri-La hotel, five-star restaurants, public viewing gallery, offices, shops and the highest residential property in the UK.
Despite the weak real estate market, Shard''s managing director Bernard Ainsworth remains optimistic about filling out the office space.
"This will be a landmark building and we''ve already let out 40 percent of it," he was quoted as saying by Devono.com.
One of the confirmed tenants will be Transport for London, the city''s transportation authority.
The project goes ahead despite past financial problems due to the onset of the recession and the credit crunch. In 2007, its European developers - including Credit Suisse - withdrew, but funding was subsequently provided by four Qatari banks.
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- "Apply Now to The Art Institutes - Pursue Your Passion Today."
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Web Design and Development (BS)
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.