Historic building rejuvenation wins design award
on Monday,April 06,2009 21:04
The renovation of the historic Ford Assembly Building in Richmond, California, has been honored with a 2009 Design Award by a Bay Area local chapter of the American Institute of Architects (AIA).
AIA East Bay gave the Citation for Architecture award in recognition of the comprehensive restoration and upgrade of the waterfront facility, spearheaded by Berkeley-based firm Marcy Wong Donn Logan Architects.
The work encompassed the salvage, restoration, reinforcement and renovation of features inherent to the building''s architectural spirit, including more than 40,000 window panes and vast skylight modules.
The building''s roof, with massive north-facing skylights which created the "day-lit" factory space, was supplanted with a rooftop solar voltaic power plant to add eco-friendly function to the structure''s form.
"This is a building that California can be proud of - and that architects, developers, politicians and business owners across the country should study as a model of innovative, environmentally responsible reuse," says Richard Moe, president of the National Trust for Historic Preservation (NTHP).
The Ford Assembly Building was designed by industrial architect Albert Kahn. Boasting spectacular views of San Francisco, it opened in 1932 as Ford Motor''s Model ''A'' production plant.
Today it houses the event, concert and production facility Craneway Pavilion as well as six green businesses.
In addition to the AIA East Bay award, the Ford Assembly Building received a National Preservation Honor Award from NTHP in 2008.
- Campus-based and online degrees include Computer Animation (BS), Digital Arts and Design (BS), Graphic Design (BS), and more
- Students take ongoing portfolio courses that allow them to build and refine their design portfolio
- Courses teach skills such as advertising, branding, visual messaging, and concept design
- Curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement
- Online Courses
- Liberty University's online programs ranked in the top 5 of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level**
- No standardized testing if you meet admission requirements
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Web Design and Development (BS)
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.