Antique jewelry sale grosses almost $2 million
on Tuesday,April 07,2009 21:04
Despite difficult economic conditions, a Boston auction house has announced its recent sale of fine jewelry brought in $1,768,021.
The highlight of the sale at Skinner, an auction house for antiques and fine art, was the collection from the family of William and Henry Walters, who established Baltimore''s Walters Art Museum.
Among the items was a Renaissance Revival long chain which sold for $402,000 and an Archaeological Revival gold and glass bead fringe necklace from 1880 that sold for $67,545.50.
"Despite the current state of the economy, the high end of fine jewelry market is as strong as ever as buyers are confident that their investment is sound," says Gloria Lieberman, director of fine jewelry for Skinner.
"Buyers and consignors alike continue to [buy] unique jewelry and recognize the lasting value intrinsic in these rare pieces purchased at auction," she says.
Other popular items included an Art Deco diamond, onyx, jadeite and coral brooch by Boucheron Paris which sold for $189,600 and a Renaissance Revival enamel, sapphire and diamond brooch which netted $71,100.
Skinner boasts expertise in more than 20 specialty collecting areas. It also provides a broad range of auction and appraisal services, and its appraisal experts regularly appear on the PBS-TV series, Antiques Roadshow.
- Offers several scholarship opportunities for students who qualify.
- Laptop computers are issued to each student at the beginning of their program.
- Provides programs in health care, business, information technology, and graphic arts.
- Respiratory Therapy program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC).
- Accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
Our family of non-profit colleges admits students of any race, color, and national or ethnic origin.Show more [+]
- Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Push Your Creativity To The Next Level.
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Online Courses
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.