Antique jewelry sale grosses almost $2 million
on Tuesday,April 07,2009 21:04
Despite difficult economic conditions, a Boston auction house has announced its recent sale of fine jewelry brought in $1,768,021.
The highlight of the sale at Skinner, an auction house for antiques and fine art, was the collection from the family of William and Henry Walters, who established Baltimore''s Walters Art Museum.
Among the items was a Renaissance Revival long chain which sold for $402,000 and an Archaeological Revival gold and glass bead fringe necklace from 1880 that sold for $67,545.50.
"Despite the current state of the economy, the high end of fine jewelry market is as strong as ever as buyers are confident that their investment is sound," says Gloria Lieberman, director of fine jewelry for Skinner.
"Buyers and consignors alike continue to [buy] unique jewelry and recognize the lasting value intrinsic in these rare pieces purchased at auction," she says.
Other popular items included an Art Deco diamond, onyx, jadeite and coral brooch by Boucheron Paris which sold for $189,600 and a Renaissance Revival enamel, sapphire and diamond brooch which netted $71,100.
Skinner boasts expertise in more than 20 specialty collecting areas. It also provides a broad range of auction and appraisal services, and its appraisal experts regularly appear on the PBS-TV series, Antiques Roadshow.
- "Apply Now to The Art Institutes - Pursue Your Passion Today."
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Bachelor’s program options include Communication, Political Communication, Cinema-Television, and more.
- Several concentrations available, including Rhetoric and Public Culture, Strategic Communication, Theatre, Journalism, Internet and Social Media, and more.
- All concentrations are designed to teach students the fundamentals of journalism, helping them prepare for careers as reporters and writers.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Online Courses
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.