Cocoon nabs industrial design prize
on Friday,September 25,2009 20:09
Rickard Hederstierna, a design student from the Lund institute of technology in Sweden, is the newest winner of the prestigious Electrolux Design Lab Competition.
Now in its seventh year, the EDL is an international competition in which industrial design students present their own ideas for the household appliances of the future.
From a pool of 900 submissions representing 50 countries, the top eight finalists are reviewed by an austere panel of design industry experts with the winner being awarded $7,000 and a six-month paid internship in one of Electrolux''s design centers around the globe.
Hederstierna''s design, the Cocoon, is ostensibly a meat and fish maker. "(It) uses science to create food, lifting a burden on the planet by reducing the need for further intensive farming and fishing," says Hederstierna.
Other designs in the top eight include a flying water catcher/purifier, a double dishwasher you can mount on your wall, and -the winner of the people''s choice award- the teleport fridge.
Past finalists of the competition have gone on to successful careers in design, both with Electrolux and independent of it, boasts the EDL''s website.
Interested industrial designers can find information on next year''s competition on the EDL homepage.
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Online Courses
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.