Famed jazz photographer to open exhibit in NYC
on Monday,October 12,2009 19:10
Frank Stewart has been a creative photographer for nearly 50 years, combining color and black and white imagery to encapsulate places like Cuba and Cameroon, events like the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and cultural movements like jazz in Chicago and New York - images that will be on display at the Essie Green Galleries in NYC later this month.
Stewart credits his passion for the work to his mentor, renowned New York photographer Roy DeCarava.
"I moved to New York City to study with him and ended up at Cooper-Union where he was teaching," Stewart tells Jazztimes.com. "He taught a whole philosophy about how to approach a subject honestly and tell the truth. I hope I got some of that."
Stewart has been praised for his use of light and traditional - non-studio - sensibilities, though he admits to the Jazztimes that he likes to shoot color photos in digital and enjoys "playing" with his images on Photoshop.
The show, entitled Contemporary Frank Stewart, is a retrospective of Stewarts works from the past 30 years and runs from October 15 through November 5.
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Push Your Creativity To The Next Level.
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Online Courses
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.