Famed jazz photographer to open exhibit in NYC
on Monday,October 12,2009 19:10
Frank Stewart has been a creative photographer for nearly 50 years, combining color and black and white imagery to encapsulate places like Cuba and Cameroon, events like the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and cultural movements like jazz in Chicago and New York - images that will be on display at the Essie Green Galleries in NYC later this month.
Stewart credits his passion for the work to his mentor, renowned New York photographer Roy DeCarava.
"I moved to New York City to study with him and ended up at Cooper-Union where he was teaching," Stewart tells Jazztimes.com. "He taught a whole philosophy about how to approach a subject honestly and tell the truth. I hope I got some of that."
Stewart has been praised for his use of light and traditional - non-studio - sensibilities, though he admits to the Jazztimes that he likes to shoot color photos in digital and enjoys "playing" with his images on Photoshop.
The show, entitled Contemporary Frank Stewart, is a retrospective of Stewarts works from the past 30 years and runs from October 15 through November 5.
- Photography & Design (BFA)
- Portrait Photography (C)
- Online and Bachelor's programs include B.S. in Advertising, B.S. in Web Design, B.A. in Interior Design, and more
- Curriculum focus on preparing students for a creative career by teaching them the fundamentals of advertising and design
- Students can choose from courses that cover areas such as advertising concepts, art direction, experience design, and online marketing
- Over 50 locations nationwide, with a student support team dedicated to helping students grow
- Join our next Open House on 10/21 (10/28 @ select locations)!
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Bachelor’s program options include Communication, Political Communication, Cinema-Television, and more.
- Several concentrations available, including Rhetoric and Public Culture, Strategic Communication, Theatre, Journalism, Internet and Social Media, and more.
- All concentrations are designed to teach students the fundamentals of journalism, helping them prepare for careers as reporters and writers.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Online Courses
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.