New graphic arts exhibit celebrates artwork hidden in plain sight
on Friday,October 23,2009 17:10
Corporate logos and other promotional material might seem a bit mundane to the more aesthetically critical art patron, but a new exhibition at the Tarble Arts Center of East Illinois University celebrates the work of graphic designers gracing the covers of cereal boxes or the walls of the local mall.
The Alumni Design Exhibition displays the work of 38 EIU graduates from the past 20 years, including advertisements, product and web design, interactive graphics and a wealth of other mediums not typically exalted in gallery shows.
The show hopes to highlight the skill and creativity inherent in product and promotional design, as well as show the ubiquitous influence that designers have on our lives.
"Artists intentionally design consumer products to please the eye, to attract the viewer, whether it be through beauty or shock," says Mary Leonard-Cravens, museum curator and graphic design professor in an interview with DenNews.com. "The world of graphic design is all around you and we have chosen to display some of the alumni''s work that constitutes this very idea."
The exhibition will run through the end of the year.
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Web Design and Development (BS)
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.