Interior designers vie for sustainability title
on Wednesday,October 28,2009 18:10
Green building and sustainability are the current vogue of the design industry and the basis for a recent interior design competition sponsored by the U.S. Green Building Council, the Network of the Hospitality Industry and the American Society of Interior Designers.
The 2009 Sustainable Suite Design Competition tasks interior designers with creating hospitality facilities that showcase environmental responsibility and enhance guest experiences.
Drawing 65 teams of professional and student designers, the competition was intended to inspire hoteliers to seek out more energy efficient means of operation.
"The purpose of the competition was to bring greater awareness about green building to the hospitality industry," claims USGBC spokeswoman Marie Coleman. "Hotels are 24-hour a day businesses, and are among the highest consumers of water, energy and other natural resources...hopefully the hospitality industry will hear the call and bring hotels newly built and existing to a higher level of performance by incorporating sustainability into their practices."
Ideas that caught judge''s eyes included infrared controls that would automatically turn off buildings lights, a more efficient air conditioning unit and a solar powered water heater that recycles runoff to feed outdoor gardens and landscaping.
The winning teams will see their designs realized and displayed at the 2010 Hospitality Design Expo and Conference in Las Vegas.
- Online and Bachelor's programs include B.S. in Advertising, B.S. in Web Design, B.A. in Interior Design, and more
- Curriculum focus on preparing students for a creative career by teaching them the fundamentals of advertising and design
- Students can choose from courses that cover areas such as advertising concepts, art direction, experience design, and online marketing
- Over 50 locations nationwide, with a student support team dedicated to helping students grow
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Campus-based and online degrees include Computer Animation (BS), Digital Arts and Design (BS), Graphic Design (BS), and more
- Students take ongoing portfolio courses that allow them to build and refine their design portfolio
- Courses teach skills such as advertising, branding, visual messaging, and concept design
- Curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement
- Online Courses
- A private, accredited distance learning college based in Norcross, Georgia founded in 1987.
- Ensures that service members, their spouses and veterans can maximize their military education benefits.
- Gives students the option to customize monthly payments to fit their budgets and lifestyle.
- Offers all-inclusive tuition: textbooks, learning materials, and academic support are covered in the cost.
- Allows alumni to enroll in any future program at a reduced rate.
- Online Courses
- Located in Hollywood, CA, offering degrees in film, music production, business, animation and more.
- Scholarship, financial aid and military benefits are available for students who qualify.
- Programs taught by award-winning industry professionals in real-world working environments.
- Features industry-standard facilities including recording studios, soundstages, green screen, movie theatres and more.
- Accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
- Financial Aid
- An accredited computer training academy preparing students to enter the IT industry as Network Engineers, Software Engineers, Web Apps Developer, Website Designers, Programmers, Database Administrators since 2000.
- Holds A+ certification from CompTIA.
- Located in Los Angeles, approximately 10 minutes away from LAX.
- Flexible class schedules offered during day times, evenings and weekends.
- Helping students start a career in technology within 3 - 9 months.
- Educates with the mission to serve the needs of the local community and graduates by matching opportunities to skills.
- Military friendly school.
- Financial Aid
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.