Interior designers vie for sustainability title
on Wednesday,October 28,2009 18:10
Green building and sustainability are the current vogue of the design industry and the basis for a recent interior design competition sponsored by the U.S. Green Building Council, the Network of the Hospitality Industry and the American Society of Interior Designers.
The 2009 Sustainable Suite Design Competition tasks interior designers with creating hospitality facilities that showcase environmental responsibility and enhance guest experiences.
Drawing 65 teams of professional and student designers, the competition was intended to inspire hoteliers to seek out more energy efficient means of operation.
"The purpose of the competition was to bring greater awareness about green building to the hospitality industry," claims USGBC spokeswoman Marie Coleman. "Hotels are 24-hour a day businesses, and are among the highest consumers of water, energy and other natural resources...hopefully the hospitality industry will hear the call and bring hotels newly built and existing to a higher level of performance by incorporating sustainability into their practices."
Ideas that caught judge''s eyes included infrared controls that would automatically turn off buildings lights, a more efficient air conditioning unit and a solar powered water heater that recycles runoff to feed outdoor gardens and landscaping.
The winning teams will see their designs realized and displayed at the 2010 Hospitality Design Expo and Conference in Las Vegas.
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.