Interior designers flash back to the 60s thanks to TVs Mad Men
on Monday,November 09,2009 21:11
The Emmy award winning television series Mad Men has garnered its fair share of acclaim over the past three seasons, but if imitation is the sincerest form of flattery then the show''s highest honor may be the throngs of interior designers who scour the set design every week in an attempt to copy the show''s unique signature style.
Set in the 1960''s, Mad Men has been praised for its tenacious historical authenticity and its particular blend of retro-stylings has gained as much attention online as the family dynamic of lead characters Don and Betty Draper.
The Draper home is a colorful image of 50''s era perfection, replete with sashed curtains, floral patterns and claw-footed furniture - styles not commonly associated outside of the era, yet it is that anachronistic appeal that makes fans clamor for these detailed vestiges of the bygone period in the modern day.
"We''ve had decades of a lack of detail and a lack of romance," New York-based interior designer Valerie Onor tells Newsday. "People become so accustomed to neutrality that they''re responding very enthusiastically to color."
The show has created a stir on online auction site eBay as well, with the phrase "Mad Men era" finding its way into several product descriptions.
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.