Toy maker helps fund art and design education
on Wednesday,November 11,2009 21:11
In a move that should help stimulate the future of the arts and design industry, Mattel Incorporated, makers of iconic children''s toys like Barbie and Hot Wheels, has presented a gift of more than $1.8 million to the Otis College of Art and Design.
The announcement came on the same day that the college released its annual Otis Report on the Creative Economy, a study that seeks to quantify the current state and predict the future successes of creative businesses in the Los Angeles region.
The study found that the region saw an increase of 1 million jobs thanks direct or indirectly to creative business ventures over the past year.
"To be competitive in the world and in this age of ideas and innovation, we must embrace creativity in our schools as well as our workplaces," said college president Samuel Hoi at a press conference announcing the study. "Mattel clearly understands this important issue by responding with this generous gift."
The money will go towards creating a new scholarship program, strengthening the art and design curriculum and improving the campus facilities.
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Dedicated career services team that helps students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary
- Program Coordinators focus on improving program content and ensure that students have the resources they need
- Over 50 locations nationwide
- Join our next Open House on 2/15!
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Campus-based and online degrees include Computer Animation (BS), Digital Arts and Design (BS), Graphic Design (BS), and more
- Students take ongoing portfolio courses that allow them to build and refine their design portfolio
- Courses teach skills such as advertising, branding, visual messaging, and concept design
- Curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement
- Online Courses
- Liberty University's online programs ranked in the top 5 of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level**
- No standardized testing if you meet admission requirements
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Web Design and Development (BS)
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.