Michigan school creates sustainable architecture program
on Wednesday,November 11,2009 21:11
Modern architecture embraces many styles of building, yet none is currently more popular than green building with a focus on sustainability. With this in mind, Michigan''s Ferris State University has announced plans to introduce a new undergraduate degree program in sustainable design.
Beginning in fall 2010, the Bachelor of Science in architecture and sustainability program, a degree offered through the school''s College of Engineering Technology, will create nine new courses focusing exclusively on ecological building strategies and implementation in addition to the traditional architectural course curriculum.
Sustainable architecture attempts to minimize the negative environmental impact that a building may have through use of eco-friendly building material and schematics designed to increase the efficiency of any particular structure.
Representatives of the university were optimistic about the new program.
"(The program) will educate students on real-world issues of green building," claims Engineering Dean Tom Oldfield. "(It will) give them experience in applying" green building techniques.
The program will give prospective architects training in a field that many analysts feel will be the future of the architecture industry.
- Ranked in the top 100 of U.S. News & World Report’s Best Colleges in the South in 2015.
- Ranked #23 for The 30 Best Online Colleges in 2014 by TheBestSchools.org.
- Offers innovative and unique degree programs that cater to the demands of the local economy.
- Proud to be a member of the Independent Colleges and Universities of Florida (ICUF).
- Has a main campus in Boca Raton, Florida, with additional locations in Orlando and Sarasota.
- Online Courses
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Online education designed for students who want to keep updated on innovations to technology and management
- Each student receives an individualized learning plan and can choose from self-paced or term-based learning programs
- Degrees offered in Criminal Justice Administration, Information Technology, Management, and more
- Online Courses
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.