International design student wins competition with futuristic carmotorcycle combination
on Monday,November 16,2009 22:11
In 2008''s box office splash The Dark Knight, Batman is able to transform his militaristic automobile into a two wheeled motorcycle when his car is destroyed by the Joker in a wonderfully surreal action scene. Just a year later, a car that transforms into a motorcycle no longer seem so far-fetched, as a recent international design competition has revealed just that.
The 2010 Michelin Challenge, an annual vehicular design competition that tasks students and professional designers to create the future of the auto industry, drew nearly 300 competitors from around the globe, but it was New Zealand industrial design student Harry Henrikson''s motorcycle/car hybrid that caught everyone''s attention.
Calling his creation the Switch, Henrikson''s design is a fully electric single person transport vehicle with the high-tech sensors that could potentially allow the machine to self navigate busy highways and city driving.
Henrikson believes that the Switch could be street ready as early as 2020.
"It''s not just another car, it''s more extreme," the 22-year-old designer tells the North Shore Times. "In 10 years time it is possible there will be this sort of technology. It''s changing all the time."
- Online and Bachelor's programs include B.S. in Advertising, B.S. in Web Design, B.A. in Interior Design, and more
- Curriculum focus on preparing students for a creative career by teaching them the fundamentals of advertising and design
- Students can choose from courses that cover areas such as advertising concepts, art direction, experience design, and online marketing
- Over 50 locations nationwide, with a student support team dedicated to helping students grow
- Join our next Open House on 2/15!
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Campus-based and online degrees include Computer Animation (BS), Digital Arts and Design (BS), Graphic Design (BS), and more
- Students take ongoing portfolio courses that allow them to build and refine their design portfolio
- Courses teach skills such as advertising, branding, visual messaging, and concept design
- Curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement
- Online Courses
- Liberty University's online programs ranked in the top 5 of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level**
- No standardized testing if you meet admission requirements
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Web Design and Development (BS)
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.