High-tech design firm create PC straight from a 50s comic book
on Wednesday,December 16,2009 21:12
Whether its modern pop music sampling 70''s soul tracks or fashionistas wearing Twiggy-style sun glasses, retro has been a design choice that seemingly never goes out of style, even as it constantly reinvents itself. It would seem that it is time for industrial designers to throw their hats into the retro ring, as the new Philco PC promises to bust on the scene like something out of a Buck Rogers comic strip.
Developed by California design studio Schultze Works, the space-age Philco PC takes its shape largely from a 1950''s television - the Philco Predicta but features a unique set of accoutrements and accents that garnered the PC top-three placement in a recent design competition.
"The design was a total labor of love," says lead-designer Dave Schultze, "but I felt so strongly that, with few exceptions, most computers are engineered eyesores. So it was very cool to receive so much positive feedback."
Boasting a CPU with grill befitting an old-school Chevette, a keyboard that is more akin to a typewriter than the modern plastic molded model and a mouse that clearly reflects the minimalist design school involved with steam punk science fiction - the machine is a uniquely stylish way to surf the net, play computer games or do one''s homework.
No information on pricing or availability of the Philco PC was available as of mid-December.
- Campus-based and online degrees include Computer Animation (BS), Digital Arts and Design (BS), Graphic Design (BS), and more
- Students take ongoing portfolio courses that allow them to build and refine their design portfolio
- Courses teach skills such as advertising, branding, visual messaging, and concept design
- Curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement
- Online Courses
- Digital Photography (AS)
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.