Students get the chance to design music studio for Wyclef Jean
on Thursday,December 17,2009 22:12
Pop music and design have always had a bit of a symbiotic relationship. Hip-hop''s resident beat-smith Dr. Dre has a signature line of high-end headphones, emo-bassist Pete Wentz owns a film production company, and the laundry list of pop stars with their own clothing line continues to grow. Yet this year, one singer-songwriter is giving design students a chance to participate in the music world.
Wyclef Jean has announced a new international student design competition tasking architectural and engineering students with creating a recording studio for the singer''s charity, Yéle Haiti.
The organization, founded by Jean in 2005, is building a music studio in Cité Soleil, Haiti, which will provide the Haitian people with record local musicians, broadcast radio programming and provide vocational training for at-risk youth in what CanadianArshitect.com calls the poorest nation in the world.
"Music is what I live, breathe and sleep," Jean tells the Royal institute of British Architects. "Where I come from, music is not just notes. It is a way of survival. That''s how important the Yéle Music Studio is. Building this project in Cité Soleil is a matter of life and death."
The international competition will begin accepting admissions in mid-December.
- Push Your Creativity To The Next Level.
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Online Courses
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Let Regent Lead The Way
- No matter your passion, you'll find your place at Regent! Choose from more than 95 areas of study in the subject areas employers demand.
- Online Courses
- Offers several scholarship opportunities for students who qualify.
- Laptop computers are issued to each student at the beginning of their program.
- Provides programs in health care, business, information technology, and graphic arts.
- Respiratory Therapy program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC).
- Accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
Our family of non-profit colleges admits students of any race, color, and national or ethnic origin.Show more [+]
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.