New green teddy bear design takes top student design honors
on Monday,December 28,2009 22:12
From a consumer''s standpoint, children''s toys tend to have a short shelf-life - particularly stuffed animals like teddy bears. With the normal wear-and-tear these toys go through, combined with fabric''s ability to retain germs and bacteria, teddy bears tend to end up either in storage or in landfills.
To ease the waste that may come from this relatively short product lifecycle, a team of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute students created the Sustain-a-Bear, the world''s greenest teddy stuffed animal.
The toy employs sustainability tactics at every stage of its production, from its recycled PET plastic fleece exterior to its ultrasonically welded frame, the toy is fully recyclable. Beginning life as a class project, the Sustain-a-Bear recently took home top honors at the 2009 Manufacturing Student Design Competition held by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
"We tried to pick an idea that would have a big impact," designer and mechanical engineering doctoral student Christina Laskowski tells the school''s newspaper. "The teddy bear market is huge, and despite all the billions of dollars of sales every year, no one has really looked into manufacturing stuffed animals in a sustainable way. That''s where the idea for Sustain-a-Bear was born."
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Online and Bachelor's programs include B.S. in Advertising, B.S. in Web Design, B.A. in Interior Design, and more
- Curriculum focus on preparing students for a creative career by teaching them the fundamentals of advertising and design
- Students can choose from courses that cover areas such as advertising concepts, art direction, experience design, and online marketing
- Over 50 locations nationwide, with a student support team dedicated to helping students grow
- Join our next Open House on 10/21 (10/28 @ select locations)!
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Campus-based and online degrees include Computer Animation (BS), Digital Arts and Design (BS), Graphic Design (BS), and more
- Students take ongoing portfolio courses that allow them to build and refine their design portfolio
- Courses teach skills such as advertising, branding, visual messaging, and concept design
- Curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement
- Online Courses
- Web Design and Development (BS)
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.