Photo exhibit seeks to showcase fading Central American culture
on Thursday,January 07,2010 22:01
Photographs have a unique ability to capture a moment in time, preserving the memory of a unique event that can never be repeated. As such, photographs are an excellent way to document traditional customs and rituals that are slowly fading from the social consciousness.
That was the impetus behind the newest exhibition from veteran photographer Marianne Mangold, who sought to immortalize the slowly passing indigenous cultures of the Central American Indians.
A part of the Mesoamerican Cultural Preservation Project, Mangold wanted to record the slowly ebbing ways of four native cultures including the Maya, Lacandon, Huichol and the Tarahumara on film and digital video.
The fruits of her labor will go on display at the Arte Americas in Fresno, California, and represents the largest public display of the project. The 67 photos on display were taken over a three-year period in which Mangold visited each group multiple times.
The artist felt the tribal cultures were nearly gone entirely.
"One year they''d be wearing their traditional dress with their long hair," Mangold tells the Fresno Bee. "The next year I''d come back and theyd be wearing jeans."
- Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Push Your Creativity To The Next Level.
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Online Courses
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.