Auburn Student Designer takes top prize at VW bridge competition
on Friday,January 15,2010 22:01
When German automaker Volkswagen decided to build a new automotive plant in Chattanooga, Tennessee, they decided that the structure needed a little touch of creativity to make the building more unique.
To help create this new landmark, the company established the Volkswagen Bridge Student Competition, an international challenge to create plans for an eye-catching pedestrian bridge that would connect the VW visitors center and the production facility at the $1 billion plant.
The competition drew design teams from all over the country, yet it was a collection of Auburn university architectural students who took home top honors with their expansive and compelling designs for a 700-foot-long bridge highlighted by an elevated tower bearing the company''s iconic insignia, according to the official press release.
"As an exercise to generate fresh, creative design ideas, the competition was very successful," says Dr. Jan Spies, general manager of project engineering with the company. "In fact, there were so many interesting ideas that many of my favorites didnt even make the jurors list of winners, but we still intend to use those ideas as well if they work to improve the final design."
Car production may begin before construction on the bridge is actually completed, though local officials are confident that the bridge will provide another scenic landmark to the Chattanooga area.
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Web Design and Development (BS)
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.