The future is now NASA develops one-person hovercraft
on Wednesday,January 20,2010 22:01
For fans of science fiction, hovercrafts, jet packs and flying machines always seemed like an inevitability. Yet after continued disappointment at the absence of hover-boards and personal rocket packs, it began to seem like one childhood dream that would never come true. Until now.
Earlier this week, NASA released preliminary designs for a personal aircraft that can take off vertically, hover and cruise horizontally according to a report in the Science News. The ship, called the Puffin, would see a single pilot standing within the aircraft and lying flat while mid-flight, similar to a hang glider.
The ship, which would be constructed of carbon-fiber composites and would weigh only 400 pounds, would be powered by twin engines run on a compact re-chargeable battery pack that would render the machine nearly silent.
NASA claims that the 12-foot-tall Puffin would be capable of hitting speeds of nearly 300 miles per hour with an average cruise speed of 150 mph, though early designs would only be capable of traveling about 50 miles on a single charge.
Designers chose the name puffin for the ships awkward appearance.
"If you''ve ever seen a puffin on the ground, it looks very awkward, with wings too small to fly, and that''s exactly what our vehicle looks like," said lead designer Mark Moore in a release from NASA.
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- "Apply Now to The Art Institutes - Pursue Your Passion Today."
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Web Design and Development (BS)
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.