New competition hopes to lure women to the world of game design
on Thursday,January 21,2010 22:01
Video games have traditionally been seen as a realm for men. One need only spend a few minutes listening to the chatter on Xbox Live to realize that women are an underrepresented group within the gaming industry. In an effort to create a more feminine influence on the world of video games, Sony Online Entertainment established the Gamers in Real Life or GiRL scholarship contest.
Now in its third year, the GiRL sees a collection of female students enrolled in design programs the chance to win up to $10,000 in scholarship money and a 10-week internship with SOE.
Students are requires to submit an existing piece of art from their student portfolio to showcase their skills, while semi-finalists will be required to create two additional unique concept designs for a game of their own devising.
"The past two GiRL Scholarship recipients were such a valued addition to our team that we are thrilled to offer this program for the third consecutive year," Laura Naviaux, SOE''s vice president of Global Sales and Marketing, told Station.com. "Our goal is to continue to encourage and reward women who share our commitment and passion for developing cutting edge online games for all demographic groups."
- Online and Bachelor's programs include B.S. in Advertising, B.S. in Web Design, B.A. in Interior Design, and more
- Curriculum focus on preparing students for a creative career by teaching them the fundamentals of advertising and design
- Students can choose from courses that cover areas such as advertising concepts, art direction, experience design, and online marketing
- Over 50 locations nationwide, with a student support team dedicated to helping students grow
- Join our next Open House on 2/15!
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
50 Years of Excellence In Education
Coleman University is a private non-profit teaching university founded in 1963 and located in San Diego, California. Its undergraduate and graduate programs prepare individuals for technology-focused careers and leadership. As San Diego’s oldest school dedicated to information technology, Coleman University has historically educated a large number of the region’s business-technology professionals.
- Liberty University's online programs ranked in the top 5 of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level**
- No standardized testing if you meet admission requirements
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.