New exhibit showcases cross-dressing in media and design
on Wednesday,February 17,2010 22:02
The List Visual Arts Center at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology has opened an exhibit that will examine the sexual boundaries - or lack thereof - of fashion design.
Virtuoso Illusion: Cross-Dressing and the New Media Avant-Garde features work that showcases the use of drag as a tactic for media artists. This type of art stems back to the sexual liberation of the 1960s, which established cross-dressing as a form of open expression for homosexuals and proponents of avant-garde art, including Jack Smith, Kenneth Anger and Andy Warhol.
The exhibit includes videos, installations, photographs and performances that explore the ways cross-dressing can lead to artistic experimentation and innovation. In addition, organizers of the event have created a 64-page catalogue, which features essays from movement leaders Michael Rush, John Kelly and Ara Merjian as well as black-and-white and color reproductions of some of their key works.
The exhibition - which will be displayed through April 10 - opened February 5 with a conversation with Michelle Handelman, Charles Atlas and John Kelly, whose works are featured in the show.
- Push Your Creativity To The Next Level.
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Online Courses
- Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Offers several scholarship opportunities for students who qualify.
- Laptop computers are issued to each student at the beginning of their program.
- Provides programs in health care, business, information technology, and graphic arts.
- Respiratory Therapy program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC).
- Accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.