Fashion designer to hold contest for college students
on Thursday,February 18,2010 22:02
Fashion mogul Vera Wang has announced her company will hold a contest that will allow design students to compete for work experience at her London-based fashion house, the BBC reports.
Students at the University of Ulster in Northern Ireland were challenged to design an outfit. A total of 12 competitors will be short-listed and one will be selected to work for the company for one week in the UK's capital city.
The contest was launched at the 2010 Spring Into Summer Fashion event. The winner will be revealed in late March during a fashion showcase at St. George's Market in Belfast.
During their apprenticeship with a Vera Wang couturier, the winner will learn "about the fabrics, why there is boning [and] why the fabric is cut a certain way," Michelle McTernan, director of Spring Into Summer, told the news source.
Although Wang is most prominently known for her formal gowns and bridal apparel, she has also merged her design skills with her love for figure skating, as she has created original costumes for athletes such as Nancy Kerrigan and Evan Lysacek, CBS News reports.
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.