Schools aim to answer demand for graphic designers with new degree programs
on Tuesday,March 09,2010 00:03
In response to an expected increase in the need for graphic designers, some colleges are creating programs that will prepare students to enter this fast-growing industry.
For example, Augustana College in Rock Island, Illinois, has announced it will begin offering a bachelors degree program in graphic and web design for the fall 2010 semester, Quad-Cities Online reports.
Coursework will examine topics such as art, communication, business administration and computer science in addition to a focus on graphic design. Students will learn both print and web-based applications of the craft, and complete a liberal arts-centered curriculum that is intended to enable graduates to work as agency-based designers, professors or entrepreneurs.
Megan Quinn, an art professor and department chair at the school, said school officials created the program to give students "a specialized skill set that will enable them to find employment in today's job market."
The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that the demand for graphic designers who have completed similar bachelors degree programs is expected to grow by 13 percent over the next eight years.
- Web Design and Development (BS)
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.