Student wins design award for folding plug
on Wednesday,March 17,2010 20:03
A student from the Royal College of Art in London has been named the winner of the Brit Insurance Design of the Year for his foldable electric plug, BBC News reports.
The awardee, Min-Kyu Choi, devised the idea for a more portable plug while carrying around a conventional plug to charge his laptop, accord to the news source. His invention was selected from a total of 90 entries, including fashion designer Alexander McQueen's last collection, which received one of seven category awards.
Choi's folding plus was also named a category winner earlier this month by a panel of judges that included artist Antony Gormley, designer Tom Dixon, Wired magazine editor David Rowan and broadcaster Janet Street-Porter.
This year's categories included architecture, fashion, furniture, graphics, interactive, product, and transport, according to the website of the Design Museum, which disburses the awards. Winners in each of these areas will be on display through October.
Deyan Sudjic, director of the museum, told the news source that the folding plug is "a practical but elegant demonstration of what design can do to make everyday life so much better."
- Online and on-campus programs include Cloud Technologies (BS), Mobile Development (BS), and Web Design and Development (BS)
- Curriculum designed to prepare students for a career in tech by immersing students in a project-based learning environment
- Students can learn how to manage cloud technology or gain coding skills for apps, websites, and software
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average
- Online Courses
- Liberty University's online programs ranked in the top 5 of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level**
- No standardized testing if you meet admission requirements
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Web Design and Development (BS)
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Digital Photography (AS)
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.