Contest could give budding graphic designer his big break
on Thursday,March 25,2010 19:03
A high school student in Florida recently landed his first graphic design gig through a scholarship contest.
The Palm Beach Post reports that Michael Cardona, a 17-year-old from Greenacres, was recently named the winner of the KidCare Act-Out for Health contest, which challenged students to create an original billboard.
According to the contest's website, competitors were required to base their design on one of three topics - things you can get for $20, things that are available to any teen or things you can do online.
Cardona's grand-prize design portrayed a $20 check made out to "Your Child's Health," which was intended to represent the amount most families pay for their children's health insurance.
KidCare, which offers affordable health insurance to Florida residents under 19 years of age, gave the budding designer a $5,000 scholarship and awarded an additional $2,500 to his high school. The company also gave prizes to winners in the Kids' Choice and Judges' Choice categories.
Cardona told the Post that he plans to use his winnings to pay for a college degree program in graphic design, and he is currently exploring his educational options.
- Web Design and Development (BS)
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.