Contest challenges high school students to design sustainable automotive dashboards
on Tuesday,May 04,2010 00:05
As the demand for eco-friendly products continues to rise, Progressive Auto Insurance is challenging students to bring their ideas for a green future alive through its Dash+ contest.
For the contest, which is sponsored by the company's Automotive X Prize Education Program, teams of high school students from across the country were required to create an eco-friendly automotive dashboard. Each team was asked to use their science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) skills to create a dashboard concept, technical plan and pitch video that details how their idea could change the transportation industry.
The plans were also required to maximize fuel efficiency and encourage behavioral change by providing environment-related feedback to the driver.
Mitch Aiken, director of education for the program, said "the caliber of entries shows that teenagers from all parts of the country are excited about STEM and eager to participate in the future of these fields."
A total of three semifinalists teams have already been chosen, and the grand prize winner will be selected at the end of the month. Members of the top team will have the opportunity to travel to Detroit this summer, where they will have the opportunity pitch their idea to experts in the automotive industry.
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef, Project Runway.
- A team of about 4,000 faculty members are focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Academic programs available in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Program Coordinators work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Classes consist of no more than 8 students to ensure an efficient, thorough learning experience.
- Offers employee training solutions to large companies.
- A+ certification from CompTIA.
- Specializes in IT and Computer training programs.
- Campus is located in Los Angeles, approximately 10 minute away from LAX.
- Member of the United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA), the Canadian Network for Innovation in Education (CNIE), and the International Council for Open and Distance Education (ICDE).
- Features a fully flexible schedule with no classes to attend, leaving the study pace up to the student.
- Offers a high school diploma program through distance learning materials.
- Specializes in distance learning courses to award diplomas.
- Online Courses
Earn your degree anytime, anywhere with Kent State University’s online graduate degrees and certificate programs offered by our Office of Continuing and Distance Education.
- Online Courses
- Accredited by the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training (ACCET).
- Morning, afternoon, evening and weekend classes are available.
- Offers career assistance services to graduates, including resume and cover letter assistance, employer networking, and one-on-one employment counseling.
- 8 campuses located across California, with 3 additional campuses in New Hampshire and Maine and online options.
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.