Contest challenges high school students to design sustainable automotive dashboards
on Tuesday,May 04,2010 00:05
As the demand for eco-friendly products continues to rise, Progressive Auto Insurance is challenging students to bring their ideas for a green future alive through its Dash+ contest.
For the contest, which is sponsored by the company's Automotive X Prize Education Program, teams of high school students from across the country were required to create an eco-friendly automotive dashboard. Each team was asked to use their science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) skills to create a dashboard concept, technical plan and pitch video that details how their idea could change the transportation industry.
The plans were also required to maximize fuel efficiency and encourage behavioral change by providing environment-related feedback to the driver.
Mitch Aiken, director of education for the program, said "the caliber of entries shows that teenagers from all parts of the country are excited about STEM and eager to participate in the future of these fields."
A total of three semifinalists teams have already been chosen, and the grand prize winner will be selected at the end of the month. Members of the top team will have the opportunity to travel to Detroit this summer, where they will have the opportunity pitch their idea to experts in the automotive industry.
- Online and Bachelor's programs include B.S. in Advertising, B.S. in Web Design, B.A. in Interior Design, and more
- Curriculum focus on preparing students for a creative career by teaching them the fundamentals of advertising and design
- Students can choose from courses that cover areas such as advertising concepts, art direction, experience design, and online marketing
- Over 50 locations nationwide, with a student support team dedicated to helping students grow
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Campus-based and online degrees include Computer Animation (BS), Digital Arts and Design (BS), Graphic Design (BS), and more
- Students take ongoing portfolio courses that allow them to build and refine their design portfolio
- Courses teach skills such as advertising, branding, visual messaging, and concept design
- Curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement
- Online Courses
- Graphic Design/Desktop Publishing
- Multimedia and Design
- An accredited computer training academy preparing students to enter the IT industry as Network Engineers, Software Engineers, Web Apps Developer, Website Designers, Programmers, Database Administrators since 2000.
- Holds A+ certification from CompTIA.
- Located in Los Angeles, approximately 10 minutes away from LAX.
- Flexible class schedules offered during day times, evenings and weekends.
- Helping students start a career in technology within 3 - 9 months.
- Educates with the mission to serve the needs of the local community and graduates by matching opportunities to skills.
- Military friendly school.
- Financial Aid
- Located in Hollywood, CA, offering degrees in film, music production, business, animation and more.
- Scholarship, financial aid and military benefits are available for students who qualify.
- Programs taught by award-winning industry professionals in real-world working environments.
- Features industry-standard facilities including recording studios, soundstages, green screen, movie theatres and more.
- Accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
- Financial Aid
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.