Construction completed on Chicago Skyscraper of the Year
on Tuesday,May 25,2010 21:05
Construction has been completed on Aqua, a 82-story skyscraper on North Columbus Drive in Chicago. The building was begun in February 2007 and was named Skyscraper of the Year by Emporis, an international building database, which praised the precision of the construction as well as the structure's green design innovations.
The 874-foot mixed-use tower includes condominium, apartment, retail and hotel space. Aqua received international attention for the undulating waves of concrete that make up its balconies. The waves are designed to diffuse Chicago's winds and provide shade from the sun, reducing energy use. The exterior even garnered an award from animal rights group PETA, as it deters birds from hitting the building.
Aqua's tower sits on an eight-story pedestal base that will provide public spaces for a planned hotel. The base will be topped by an 80,000-square-foot terrace with amenities such as gardens, pools, running track and fire pit. The hotel portion of the building will be housed in its first 18 floors. Apartments will make up floors 19 through 28 and condominiums from floors 29 through 82.
James McHugh Construction was the general contractor. Loewenberg Architects were the architect of record. Design architecture was by Studio/Gang/Architects.
- Online and on-campus programs include Cloud Technologies (BS), Mobile Development (BS), and Web Design and Development (BS)
- Curriculum designed to prepare students for a career in tech by immersing students in a project-based learning environment
- Students can learn how to manage cloud technology or gain coding skills for apps, websites, and software
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average
- Online Courses
- Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Web Design and Development (BS)
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.