Diamond Empowerment Fund announces new board members
on Friday,June 04,2010 16:06
The Diamond Empowerment Fund (DEF) has announced the election of seven new board members representing a cross-section of the jewelry industry.
DEF is a nonprofit international organization established by the individuals and businesses in the diamond and jewelry industry committed to the empowerment of communities and countries where diamonds are a natural resource.
The new board members include Lita Asscher, President, Royal Asscher of America; Elliot Tannenbaum, partner, Leo Schachter Diamonds; Cathy Calhoun, president, Calhoun Jewelers; Yancy Weinrich, Industry vice president; Jewelers' Circular Keystone (JCK), the jewelry industry's leading trade publication.
Board members were formally welcomed at a breakfast presentation to the jewelry industry on "Empowerment through Education for Africa," during the JCK conference in Las Vegas.
DEF will also be recognizing Flaviana Matata, former Miss Universe Tanzania as its new Africa's Angel Ambassador as well as Hasheem Thabeet of the NBA's Memphis Grizzlies as DEF's new Athlete for Africa Ambassador.
"The international diamond jewelry industry has a great opportunity for enlightened self-interest to align with the rising global consciousness of consumers," commented DEF Founder and advisory board chairman Russell Simmons. "With 60 percent of the world's diamonds coming from Sub-Saharan Africa, helping empower young Africans through access to education is a perfect fit. I am thrilled we have seven industry leaders joining DEF's Board who I know will make a tremendous positive difference for this cause so near to my heart."
- Campus-based and online degrees include Computer Animation (BS), Digital Arts and Design (BS), Graphic Design (BS), and more
- Students take ongoing portfolio courses that allow them to build and refine their design portfolio
- Courses teach skills such as advertising, branding, visual messaging, and concept design
- Curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement
- Online Courses
- Liberty University's online programs ranked in the top 5 of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level**
- No standardized testing if you meet admission requirements
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Web Design and Development (BS)
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.