Diamond Empowerment Fund announces new board members
on Friday,June 04,2010 16:06
The Diamond Empowerment Fund (DEF) has announced the election of seven new board members representing a cross-section of the jewelry industry.
DEF is a nonprofit international organization established by the individuals and businesses in the diamond and jewelry industry committed to the empowerment of communities and countries where diamonds are a natural resource.
The new board members include Lita Asscher, President, Royal Asscher of America; Elliot Tannenbaum, partner, Leo Schachter Diamonds; Cathy Calhoun, president, Calhoun Jewelers; Yancy Weinrich, Industry vice president; Jewelers' Circular Keystone (JCK), the jewelry industry's leading trade publication.
Board members were formally welcomed at a breakfast presentation to the jewelry industry on "Empowerment through Education for Africa," during the JCK conference in Las Vegas.
DEF will also be recognizing Flaviana Matata, former Miss Universe Tanzania as its new Africa's Angel Ambassador as well as Hasheem Thabeet of the NBA's Memphis Grizzlies as DEF's new Athlete for Africa Ambassador.
"The international diamond jewelry industry has a great opportunity for enlightened self-interest to align with the rising global consciousness of consumers," commented DEF Founder and advisory board chairman Russell Simmons. "With 60 percent of the world's diamonds coming from Sub-Saharan Africa, helping empower young Africans through access to education is a perfect fit. I am thrilled we have seven industry leaders joining DEF's Board who I know will make a tremendous positive difference for this cause so near to my heart."
- A private, accredited distance learning college based in Norcross, Georgia founded in 1987.
- Ensures that service members, their spouses and veterans can maximize their military education benefits.
- Gives students the option to customize monthly payments to fit their budgets and lifestyle.
- Offers all-inclusive tuition: textbooks, learning materials, and academic support are covered in the cost.
- Allows alumni to enroll in any future program at a reduced rate.
- Online Courses
- Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Web Design and Development (BS)
- Offers several scholarship opportunities for students who qualify.
- Laptop computers are issued to each student at the beginning of their program.
- Provides programs in health care, business, information technology, and graphic arts.
- Respiratory Therapy program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC).
- Accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
Our family of non-profit colleges admits students of any race, color, and national or ethnic origin.Show more [+]
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Push Your Creativity To The Next Level.
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Online Courses
Latest Articles & News
Kanye West to perform during Paris Fashion Week
It is no secret to many that music artist Kanye West is no stranger to fashion, and now he will be showing his new collection during Paris Fashion Week later this week, according to the Elle Magazine.
Second designer chosen for home decor competition
Teenlike.com, an ongoing online competition for young home decor designers, announced its second winner. Brandon Dover of Apply Valley, California, was this year's winner, as he created an abstract pen and inkwork design for a bedspread.